Celebrate snowballs, snow angels, snowmen, and all things snow-themed using these fun snow writing prompts.
Not only do these snow writing prompts spark creativity, they sharpen writing skills, instill a love for writing, and encourage students to express their thoughts.
That’s why they make a great addition to your collection of writing activities.
No matter the grade you teach, these snow writing prompts will serve your students well.
So pencil into your lesson plans this week a handful of these cool snow-themed writing prompts.
Snow Writing Prompts
1. Write a story that takes place in a snow globe.
2. Explain how to make your variation of snow ice cream.
3. Create a funny story about a snowball that dislikes getting into fights.
4. Write an acrostic poem with the word snow.
5. Tell the differences and similarities among snow, sleet, and ice.
6. Convince your parents to make snow angels with you.
7. Compare and contrast an igloo and a tent.
8. Using all five senses, describe a snowflake.
9. Explain, step-by-step, how to build a snowman.
10. Invent a new snow cone flavor. What is it like? How does it taste and look?
11. Share an experience playing in the snow.
12. Create a story about a snowman afraid of melting away.
13. Compose a haiku about snow.
14. Write a story about two friends who go sledding while being off from school due to a snow day.
15. The newspaper headline reads, “Snowball Fight Leaves One Injured!” Write the news story.
16. Create an outdoor game that involves snow.
18. Write two, grade-appropriate math word problems that involve snow.
19. Describe a fun snow-themed arts and crafts activity that your class may enjoy making.
20. Share five facts and five opinions about snow.
21. Create any story you like that relates to snow.
22. Draft a story about someone who dresses as a snowflake for Halloween.
23. Brainstorm a list of ten words related to snow. Now write a story or poem that contains these words.
24. Explain how to make snow angels.
25. Summarize a good winter-themed book you read or heard recently.
26. As I placed the carrot as his nose, the snowman started to cough! … Finish the story.
27. Write a story about someone whose bed transforms into a snowmobile every weekend.
28. Oh no! You wake up one morning with a snowman head! Tell about your day.
29. Write a diary entry from the perspective of a flake of snow.
30. Draft a sales pitch that will persuade potential customers to buy your special ice skates.
31. Create a special, one-of-a-kind recipe that includes snow. Share all the steps.
32. Draft a fictional biography about Frosty the Snowman.
33. Make up a fun indoor recess game that involves snow.
34. Write a story about someone learning how to ski.
35. Detail how to make your special recipe of snow soup.
36. Devise a strategy for winning first place in a snowman-building contest.
37. Describe all the benefits of responding to snow writing prompts.
38. Write the pros and cons of sledding as a means of transportation.
39. Describe your favorite Winter Olympics competition.
40. Tell how to make a snow cone.
41. Write a short story about a family that lives in an igloo.
42. Draft a greeting card message that has a snow theme.
43. Imagine that you’re in charge of designing a magazine cover that has a snow theme. Detail what your cover will look like.
Now you have a nice collection of snow writing prompts to use during writer’s workshop or for a variety of other writing activities.
You might also be interested in… snowman writing prompts.