The pandemic reveals that in some shape or form, online learning is here to stay.
So it’s only logical that you’ll need a set of report card comments for distance learning.
With online learning, documenting how well students are progressing academically presents a bit of a challenge because additional skill sets and resources are required to access information.
… and your students may or may not possess those resources and technological skills.
In whichever situation you and your students find yourselves, the following report card comments for online learning provide you with the phrases you need to accurately document the remote learning experiences of your students.
While every phrase may not apply to your specific teaching area, the aim is to create a varied resource of report card comments for distance learning that can be used across grade levels, subject areas, and ability levels.
For more phrases to help you communicate students’ progress to parents, visit our colossal collection of meaningful report card comments.
Qualifiers for Distance Learning Report Card Comments
When writing comments for distance learning, qualifiers such as often, always, seldom, etc. can be used to show the degree of progress that has been reached with respect to a particular action or skill.
By interchanging qualifiers, you easily adjust the level of progress.
The following is a list of descriptors to utilize as you draft your report card comments for remote learning. . .
- is progressing well with…
- shows proficiency with…
- is strong in…
- requires more time
- needs to improve in
Report Card Comments for Online Learning
These distance learning report card comments are divided into 5 sections simply to make them a bit easier for you to read.
Report Card Comments for Distance Learning (Work Habits)
- ______ handles technical problems well.
- It’s challenging for ______ to finish a task if he isn’t supervised constantly.
- ______ persists through the challenges of remote learning.
- ______ routinely seeks assistance when she/he has issues accessing the online resources and/or materials.
- Even in the absence of regular computer access, _______ makes consistent effort to complete her assignments to the best of her abilities.
- ______ frequently needs reminders so that work is submitted on time.
- When the online work is interactive, has little trouble engaging fully. However, when it comes to more reading and research-based tasks, it’s a struggle to keep focused for even short periods of time.
- ______ has a hard time completing work in a timely fashion.
- ______ excels within an online learning environment.
- Though ______ has easy access to the online tools and knows how to use them, he/she struggles to submit work on time.
- ______ refuses to ask the teacher for help when understanding breaks down.
- ______ consistently logs into his work portal daily or as required.
- ______ does a great job of managing her time well.
- ______ is always prepared and ready to learn.
- ______ follows online instructions well.
- Even when technical errors occur, ______ perseveres because he/she is determined to get the work done.
- It is evident that ______ has a structured study schedule that he follows routinely.
- ______ regularly submits work on time.
- ______ puts forth good effort in completing online assignments.
Remote Learning Report Card Comment Examples (General Notes)
- ______ does not hesitate to ask for help when needed.
- ______ struggles to complete online work independently.
- Due to the nature of remote learning, it is frequently a challenge to apply accommodations and modifications for ______ assignments. Consequently, her academic progress has slowed a bit.
- ______ significantly lacks self-discipline when applying himself to online tasks/assignments.
- ______ is inconsistent with his efforts.
- When _______ is unsure about how to use an online learning platform, he/she asks questions for clarification.
- ______ is progressing well with (insert any action or skill).
- When talking with the teacher and/or peers in an online teaching session, _______ participates fully.
- ______regularly turns in remote learning assignments late.
- ______ requires a high level of encouragement in order to complete a task.
- Unnecessarily sacrificing accuracy for speed causes ______ to make lots of careless mistakes in his work and in how he uses online learning tools.
- ______is putting forth 100% effort when it comes to his online work.
- Though _______ is a bright student, he struggles to maintain the same level of academic proficiency in an online environment compared to in-person learning.
- _______ has difficulties paying attention but does respond well to being redirected.
- _____ hardly ever participates fully in online group discussions.
- ______ struggles to apply reading skills such (insert any targeted reading skill/strategy) when reading on a device.
- ______ refuses to complete his online assignments.
- _____ participates fully during discussions.
- It is evident that _______ has a strong desire to succeed even in an online format.
- ______ is self-motivated.
Virtual Learning (General Comments)
- ______ frequently asks questions about the assignment before first reviewing the online instructions.
- ______ is progressing at grade level standards during distance learning.
- During individual or group sessions, ________ fully participates and engages with peers and the instructor.
- ______ flourishes with self-paced remote learning.
- The overwhelm with transitioning to remote learning was minimal for _______ because he is a quick learner and took on the challenge with a positive mindset.
- Because ______ is not too comfortable on screen, he or she rarely participates in class discussions.
- ______ takes full responsibility for missed assignments and takes the initiative to seek missed work.
- ______ often has trouble following online instructions.
- Even with limited technological resources, _______ accomplished her tasks by seeking creative ways to complete the work.
- ______ exceeds grade level academic expectations during distance learning with little to no prompting from the teacher or parents.
- ______ is a self-starter who takes the initiative to make his online learning experience as seamless and structured as possible.
- Though remote learning was a challenge for ________ in the beginning, she now has a set routine and is adjusting extremely well to the circumstances.
- _______ completes homework and extension assignments regularly.
- _______ rarely, if ever, misses a virtual teaching/learning session.
- Though the present circumstances make teaching and learning more challenging, _______ is nonetheless extremely motivated to meet her academic goals this school year.
- _______ is habitually late logging on to her remote learning sessions.
- ______ exhibited great patience and flexibility as the school was making a transition to online learning.
- ______ is frequently disengaged in remote learning class discussions.
- ______ work ethic is unpredictable. Some days he’s on-task, motivated, and focused. Other days he’s distracted and lacks interest in the lessons.
- Even with the limitations of remote learning, ______ consistently delivers work that is over and beyond grade level expectations.
Report Card Comments to Use During Pandemic (General Notes)
- ______ accurately uses online word processing applications to write, edit, save, and submit assignments.
- Too much screen time is causing ______ to feel exhausted with distance learning.
- ______ possesses the dedication and/or motivation needed to excel in an online learning environment.
- ______ frequently uses age‐appropriate technologies to communicate, exchange ideas, and/or create projects.
- Unfortunately, ______ seldomly uses the technological tools and/or resources responsibly.
- ______ easily uses age-appropriate online tools and resources for learning.
- ______ responds appropriately to viewing educational videos.
- ______ is a natural problem solver who seeks answers independently before asking for assistance.
- ______ waits until the last minute to seek clarification of remote learning activities.
- ______ is so motivated and eager to do well that he/she requests additional work without being prompted.
- Though _____ is very capable, getting her to focus in an online setting is a challenge.
- _______ shows satisfactory progress in (insert any learning objective) despite the challenges of remote learning.
- ______ is frequently unprepared for virtual lessons.
- ______ knows how to use the Internet for research.
- ______ consistently demonstrates an understanding of how to use online platforms during the teaching and learning process.
- ______ is proficient in locating, collecting, and evaluating information from online resources.
- _____ shows difficulty in comprehending distance learning instructions and requires multiple repetitions of detailed directions.
- Even with accommodations and/or modifications, _____ struggles with (insert any conduct behavior).
- _____ frequently demonstrates poor work ethic.
- _____ puts forth much effort in an online environment. However, (insert any skill, strategy, or behavior) is often difficult for him/her.
- _____ fails to complete assignments even when given extended time.
- _____ does a fantastic job of using designated online platforms to collaborate, publish, and interact.
- _____ exhibits poor time management and consequently has trouble completing assignments on time.
- _____ constantly asks questions that have been answered repeatedly and in detail.
Comments for Next Steps
- To boost lesson retention, have _______ master a few of these study skills.
- To help _______ stay focused when completing his web-based work, it may help to break his assignments into easily-digestible chunks.
- _____ would benefit from tutoring X number of times per week.
- Because _______ benefits so well from in-person instruction, tutoring sessions X number of times per week might be helpful so that she doesn’t fall too much behind during distance learning.
- Consider having _______ use (insert any engaging online resources for students such as StudyJams) when he has extra time at home.
- Let’s continue to remind _______ to contact the teacher as soon as possible when he doesn’t understand a concept instead of waiting right before an assignment is due.
- It would benefit ______ greatly to follow a daily schedule to help keep her on task.
- ______ may contact me through (insert school-based online communication platform) if he/she needs additional support or clarification about an assignment.
- I strongly encourage _____ to (insert any action that will help to improve situation + how often) in order to improve (insert issue).
- _______ needs to be challenged more academically. I suggest…
- After a certain amount of time (e.g. 30 minutes of work), offer ______ a small reward for work well done.
- It would be helpful to review at home with _______ (insert any technological/academic skill that needs improvement).
- For the next semester, let’s try these distance learning accommodations and/or modifications for ______ : (insert any appropriate modification/accommodation).
More Next Steps Comments for Remote Learning
- To minimize distractions, consider creating a designated workspace for ________ to complete his studies.
- I encourage _______ to seek all available online solutions and resources provided by the teacher before asking for help.
- A simple checklist with instructions would help _______ access the information independently.
- When possible, review with ______ a few times per week the steps involved in solving math word problems (or insert any other significant skill).
- I recommend that ______ follow a set study schedule so that she doesn’t fall behind with her virtual assignments.
- Once a week, I’ll have a 1 to 1 or small group virtual session with ______ to help her improve in (insert targeted learning objective).
- I recommend that _______ log into his/her learning portal a few minutes early so that he can prepare and be ready to learn.
- _______ must continue to read daily (online or traditional) in order to maintain stamina and reading fluency.
- It would be helpful to reduce distractions such as television, music, and cell phone use when ______ is working on remote learning activities.
- I suggest that _____ continues to study (insert skill/strategy that requires improvement).
- ______ needs to practice his basic math facts for at least 15 minutes daily. He can do this online or with “hands-on” resources. The resources I suggest are (insert any helpful tool).
- Let’s schedule a Zoom meeting for (insert date and time).
The Ultimate List of Report Card Comments for Distance Learning
Whether you’re teaching remotely or in-person, drafting report card comments is a task that you’ll probably still be expected to perform a few times during the school year.
These distance learning report card comments give you all the ammunition you need to document your learners’ online learning experiences.
I guarantee you’ll want to hang on to these helpful phrases. Better yet, bookmark this page.
You’ll be saving yourself time and a bit of your sanity.
Wishing you a safe school year