If you’re looking for pirate writing prompts, you’ve landed in the right place.
Here you will find prompts that motivate students to move their pens with excitement.
What’s more, these pirate writing prompts instill a love for writing, sharpen writing skills, and spark the imagination.
Writer’s workshop just became a bit more fun!
So whether you’re teaching a pirate unit or simply want to add variety to your writing activities, these pirate writing prompts are sure to fit your needs.
Pirate Writing Prompts
1. Write a story about a pirate who is shipwrecked on a deserted island.
2. Create a pirate story that includes these words: sea, steal, thief, ship, treasure
3. Plan a feast for pirates with all foods that come from the sea. Describe each course.
4. P.I.R.A.T.E – Write an acrostic poem using the word pirate.
5. Imagine that you are a pirate and live on a ship with your crew. Devise a strategy for protecting your boat from attacks.
6. Draft a how-to guide about how to live at sea.
7. Design and label a map of an island. Then write a few paragraphs about your island.
8. What are some pros and cons of living at sea?
9. Write about a usual day in the life of a pirate.
10. Create a holiday that celebrates pirates. What are the customs, and when is it celebrated?
11. Write a funny story about a pirate who is afraid of water.
12. Describe pirate’s clothing.
13. Write a diary entry from the perspective of a pirate.
14. Draft a letter to your teacher persuading him/her to read some cool pirate read aloud books to the class.
15. Tell the character traits of a pirate, and give examples.
16. Write about a typical day in the life of a ship.
17. How does responding to pirate writing prompts help to deepen your knowledge, improve your writing skills, and/or stretch your imagination?
18. List ten words related to pirates. Then compose a poem that includes those words.
19. Sketch a pirate. Then write 2 to 3 paragraphs describing your drawing.
20. Write a story about a mermaid who saves a pirate from attackers.
21. Imagine that a pirate friend will spend a day with you at school. What adventures will you two have, and what challenges may you face?
22. Explain how to use a compass.
23. If you were a pirate, what gift requests would be on your Christmas lists and why?
24, Create any writing piece you want about a pirate.
25. Your doorbell rings. You answer, and standing there is a pirate who says “Ahoy!”. Finish the story.
26. Draft a story about a pirate captain who shows poor leadership skills.
27. Share what things you think a pirate can do in order to stay healthy and in shape.
28. If you could interview a pirate, what questions would you ask and why?
29. Compare and contrast a pirate and a mermaid.
30. You wake up one morning to realize that you are now a pirate and your bed is a ship! Write about what happens in the next 24 hours.
31. Write a letter to a pirate, convincing him to take you along on one of his voyages.
32. How would life be different if most people lived at sea and very few lived on land?
33. Describe a trip to McDonald’s from a pirate’s point of view.
34. Imagine what a pirate’s family would be like. Describe each member of the family. What activities do they enjoy doing together?
35. Explain the difference between a nautical mile and a mile.
36. What are some of the similarities and differences between a pirate and a sailor?
37. Draft a short, one-episode TV show script about a fearless pirate on the search for hidden treasures.
38. Create a glossary of pirate jargon.
39. Write a short pirate adventure about a crew having trouble finding a mythical treasure.
40. Write a grocery list for a pirate.
41. Describe what a pirate’s ship looks and feels like after a storm.
You’re all set to supplement your writing activities using these fun pirate writing prompts.
If you liked these pirate writing prompts, you might also enjoy … mermaid writing prompts.