If you’re looking for mermaid writing prompts for students, you’ve landed in the right place.
These prompts reduce writer’s block, improve writing skills, instill a love for writing plus encourage students to explore their imaginations.
So pencil into your writer’s workshop sessions this week a handful of these delightful writing prompts about mermaids.
Mermaid Writing Prompts
1. How do you think mermaids would adapt if oceans no longer existed?
2. If you were a mermaid, what gift requests would be on your birthday list and why?
3. Do you think mermaids really exist? Why or why not?
4. Write 10 words related to mermaids. Then compose a poem that includes the words.
5. Finish the story. As the sun sets, the mermaid transforms into an underwater superhero who…
Related Post: Ocean Writing Prompts
6. One day while at the beach, you see a mermaid waving at you. Write what happens next.
7. Write about what it might be like if you had a mermaid as a pet or sibling.
8. If you could breathe underwater like a mermaid, what adventures would you explore under the sea?
9. Write a new chapter for your favorite book or a new scene from your favorite movie/show. The only thing is that now the main character is a mermaid.
10. Compare and contrast a mermaid’s life to a human’s life.
11. If mermaids had their own field day, in what types of activities would they participate?
12. Write five facts and five opinions about mermaids.
13. Share how you think human activities impact a mermaid’s underwater habitat.
14. Write a short story about waking up one morning with a mermaid tail.
15. Draft a short story about Miriam the Mermaid who becomes fully human at midnight.
16. Compose a short story about a mermaid who gets captured by a fisherman.
17. Draft a letter from a mermaid pen pal, telling you about life beneath the waves and inviting you for a visit.
18. Write a short story about a mermaid who is the ruler of an underwater volcano.
19. Create a story about getting lost at sea and being rescued by a mermaid.
20. You will travel underwater to spend 24 hours with a mermaid. Write a short story about the adventures and challenges you encounter.
21. Write a story about a mermaid who lives in an underwater rainbow.
22. Create a short story about a mermaid who lives in the Bermuda Triangle.
23. Compose a story about a mermaid who goes to live with humans for a week. What adventures and challenges will she face?
24. Write a story about a baby mermaid.
25. Describe a mermaid to someone who has never seen one.
26. Imagine that you’re on a ship in the middle of the ocean. Using the 5 senses, What is your ship like, how does the ocean look, etc?
27. Sketch a mermaid. Then summarize your drawing.
28. If you were a mermaid, describe the exciting underwater adventures you would have with your sea creature friends.
29. Describe an underwater mermaid city.
30. Write a combination of similes and metaphors to describe a mermaid.
31. Create an acrostic poem using the word mermaid.
32. Write a story about a mermaid who befriends a seahorse.
33. Create a legend that explains the existence of mermaids.
34. Share a short biography about a mermaid’s life.
35. Write a diary entry from the perspective of a mermaid spending a day on land.
36. Are mermaids real? Why do you hold this opinion?
37. Pretend that you are a mermaid. Share a fun memory of living in the sea.
38. Describe what you think it would be like to have a fish fin instead of legs.
39. Write a letter persuading your parents to let you dress as a mermaid for a costume parade.
40. Pretend that you are a mermaid. Write a letter convincing humans to stop polluting the ocean.
41. Create a grocery list for a mermaid.
42. Imagine that you are a mermaid. Describe a typical day for you.
43. Write a story about a mermaid who fights off predators using her powerful tail.
44. Create a comic strip about a mermaid’s hilarious attempts to use human objects she finds washed ashore.
45. Draw and describe your favorite colorful and magical mermaid tail design.
46. Write a short story about a young mermaid who discovers a hidden treasure chest on the ocean floor.
47. Compose a poem about the mesmerizing beauty of the underwater coral gardens where mermaids live.
48. Write a letter from a mermaid pen pal, telling you about life beneath the waves and inviting you for a visit.
49. If you could grant a wish to a mermaid, what would it be, and how would it lead to a fun adventure?
50. Create a story about a mermaid who goes on a field trip.
51. Describe a day in the life of a mermaid school, learning everything from underwater math to magical shell spells.
52. Describe the type of jewelry and accessories that you think a mermaid wears.
Now you have a treasure trove of writing prompts about mermaids that your students can use for various writing activities.