Encourage second graders to write about themselves and their experiences using these fun narrative writing prompts for 2nd grade.
Not only do these second grade narrative writing prompts reduce writer’s block, they sharpen writing skills, instill a love for writing, and help students express their ideas.
That’s why they make a great addition to your collection of writing prompts.
So pencil into your lesson plan this week a few of these delightful narrative writing prompts for 2nd grade.
Narrative Writing Prompts for 2nd Grade
Even reluctant writers will enjoy responding to these narrative writing prompts for 2nd grade.
1. Write a story about an amazing day that you shared with your family.
2. Describe the most exciting vacation you ever took.
3. Share a funny memory about your favorite pet.
4. Tell about an experience riding a rollercoaster.
5. Retell a time when you were the victim of bullying. Who did you seek for help? What was the final outcome?
6. Write about a very sad moment in your life.
7. Write about a time when you got lucky.
8. Share a story about the best Halloween costume you’ve ever worn.
9. Write about a time when you felt like the luckiest kid in the universe.
10. For one hour, you have the ability to fly. Describe what adventures you will take.
11. Share a memory of when you were surprised with a new pet.
12. Describe a moment in your life when you felt like a celebrity.
13. Share details about a time when you accomplished one of your S.M.A.R.T goals.
14. Write about the coolest arts and crafts project you’ve ever done in school.
15. Retell the events about a day when everything went wrong.
16. Write about a time when you wanted something badly and finally received it.
17. What was your life like one year ago? Describe it.
18. Tell about a time when someone made you feel important.
19. Describe 3-5 goals that you have for yourself.
20. Write about a time when you felt proud of yourself.
21. Tell about a perfect weekend memory.
22. Share a time when you struggled with something and your teacher helped you through it.
23. Describe a special moment between you and your pet.
24. Write about a time when you were afraid of thunder and lightening.
25. Tell about the funniest day of your life.
26. Describe a water experience such as at the beach, in a swimming pool, at a waterpark, etc. What made this activity so memorable?
27. Share the main events about your first time flying on an airplane.
28. Tell about a special moment when you were learning how to swim, ride a bike, or play an instrument.
29. Write about a time when you injured yourself at P.E or during recess.
30. Share a memory about a time when you just couldn’t stop laughing. How did you finally get yourself under control?
31. Retell the events of your most memorable birthday.
32. Describe what you daydream about when your mind wonders in class.
33. Write a story about the day you received your very first pet.
34. Retell a memory visiting a favorite restaurant.
35. Share a time when you became ill. What happened, and how did you get better?
36. Write about a time when you showed courage.
37. Describe your morning routine before you arrive to school.
38. Write about being a new student.
39. If you could trade places with any book character for twenty-four hours, who would you choose and why? Describe what things you would do.
40. Write about a time when you showed kindness to a classmate that is not your friend.
41. Write about losing a tooth.
42. Tell about a time when you were disappointed because you didn’t receive a gift you wanted.
43. Think about a time when you felt alone. What was the cause? What was the final outcome?
44. Write a story about the adventures you would have with a time machine.
45. If you were teacher for the day, what activities or games would you do with the other second graders?
46. What is dinner time like at your house?
47. How do you spend Sundays?
48. What things do you and your family like to do for fun?
49. Tell how you met your best friend.
50. Share a fun recess memory.
51. Imagine that you can go to any place you want and for as long as you desire. Where would you go, what would you do, and who would you take along with you?
Final Thoughts: Narrative Writing Prompts for 2nd Grade
Related: books for teaching narrative writing