Here you will find an assortment of writing prompts for first grade.
These fun writing prompts for first grade students reduce writer’s block resulting in 1st graders producing content much more quickly.
Additionally, they encourage expression of ideas plus develop writing skills.
That’s why they make a great addition to your collection of writing activities.
So add a few of these writing prompts for first grade into writer’s workshop this week.
Writing Prompts for First Grade Students
1. What do you like most about first grade?
2. Who is your favorite superhero and why?
3. Playing sports is lots of fun. Do you agree? Why or why not?
4. What is your favorite animal and why?
5. Write about what you did last weekend.
6. What do you enjoy most about school?
7. If you could be any animal for a day, what animal would you be and why?
8. I am happiest when …
9. Write about a time when you said or did something that upset someone.
10. Write about a time when you felt upset at home or in school.
11. Describe the best present you have been given.
12. What superpowers would you like to have and why?
13. Tell about your favorite holiday.
14. If you had wings, where would you fly to and why?
15. What is your favorite school subject and why?
16. Write a poem about first grade.
17. Create a story about a friendly dragon.
18. Do you think homework should be required every night? Why or why not?
19. What are you looking most forward to about growing up?
20. Share a time when you felt really angry.
21. Describe a time when you had to apologize to someone.
22. What is the happiest you have ever been?
23. Tell about a when when you felt scared.
24. Describe the special bond you have with your pet.
25. What is your favorite food and why?
26. Rewrite the ending to your favorite fairy-tale.
27. What do you enjoy most about recess?
28. How do you make a new student feel welcomed?
29. Share a fun birthday memory.
30. Tell about a time when you got into trouble at home.
31. What is your favorite color and why?
32. If you had some money, what would you spend it on and why?
33. When you grow up, what job do you want to have and why?
34. Describe your favorite indoor recess game.
35. Write about your favorite meal.
36. Tell about a time when you got hurt.
37. Write a thank you note to a custodian.
38. What things make you the happiest?
39. Write a poem about first grade.
40. Describe the best things about your family.
41. As you’re writing, your pencil starts to dance. Write what happens next.
42. What makes a good friend?
43. Would you rather eat french fries with honey or pizza with spinach? Why?
44. Explain how to behave in the library.
45. I feel safest when I am …
46. Describe your earliest memory.
47. The thing I look most forward to after school is …
48. If a genie granted me three wishes I would wish for …
49. I am at my calmest when …
50. What upsets me the most is when …
51. Write a letter to your teacher asking her to read your favorite book.
52. I find it hard to concentrate in class when …
53. Retell a good book you read or heard recently.
54. Share ideas for taking care of the planet.
55. Explain how to tie a shoe.
56. Describe what you at for lunch today.
57. Share a fun memory visiting the zoo.
58. Tell about the best field trip you’ve ever taken.
59. What’s your favorite thing about school and why?
60. Write about your favorite place in the world.
61. Describe the last dream you had.
Final Thoughts: Writing Prompts for First Grade Students
Now you have a quality collection of writing prompts for first grade to use for a variety of writing activities.
If you liked these first grade writing prompts, you might be interested in … best first grade read aloud books.