Encourage students of all ages to think outside the box using these awesome picture writing prompts for kids.
What’s a Picture Prompt?
Picture writing prompts are story starters that use visuals to kickstart students’ writing. The images provide a framework and context from which students can express their thoughts and ideas.
No longer worry about your students having writer’s block when it’s time to write. These visuals will activate their creative juices.
Additionally, these picture writing prompts for kids awaken imaginations, promote critical thinking, empower students to express themselves, and sharpen writing skills.
So mix a handful of these free picture writing prompts for kids into your teaching activities this week.
Picture Writing Prompts for Kids
Whether you’re seeking for picture writing prompts for kindergarten, elementary, middle, or high school, you’re sure to find a prompt to fit here that fits your needs.
1. Circus Performer
- For what special event is this acrobatic person performing?
- With whom is he performing?
- How is the crowd reacting to his performance?
- Besides a hula hoop, what other props does he use?
2. Fans Celebrating in a Stadium
- Why is the crowd going wild?
- For who are they cheering?
- Where do you think they are located?
- Is the row of individuals friends? How do they know each other?
- What words would you use to describe how the people are feeling?
3. Magical Open Book
- How is the book magical?
- Why are the pages flipping?
- What type of book genre could this be?
- Is the book alive?
- Who owns this book?
- What’s the story behind this book?
4. Someone Tripping Over Tied Shoes
- Why is the person’s feet tied?
- Could this be a prank?
- Who could have done this to this person?
5. Drawing on Face While Sleep
- Why does this person have a drawing on his face?
- Does he know it’s there?
- Is this a joke?
- What will happen when he awakens?
6. Cute Cat Walking
- How would you describe this cat?
- Where is it going?
- Why is the cat strolling down the street?
- What is it curious about?
7. Little Girl Reading With Teddy Bear
- What kind of book is the girl reading?
- What time is it?
- Why is she awake?
- Where are her parents?
- What is special about the teddy bear?
8. Agitated Little Girl
- Why caused the girl to make this face?
- What is she drawing?
- Who could be with her?
- Where is she?
9. Surprised Girl
- What caused her to look surprised?
- Where outdoors is she?
- What activities is she doing outside and with whom?
10. Sad-Looking Girl
- Do you think the girl is at school or at home? Why do you think this?
- Why does she look sad?
- How do you think she will solve her problem?
11. Children Fighting Over Stuffed Animal
- Why are the two kids fighting over the teddy bear?
- Are they siblings or friends? Why do you think this?
- How will the problem be solved?
12. Person’s Feet in Hammock
- Where is this person?
- Are they on vacation or just relaxing at home? Why do you think this?
- Who else is around this person or could he/she be alone?
13. Boy Frustrated
- Why is the boy frowning?
- Where is he?
- Who else is around him?
- What could have caused him to look frustrated?
14. Cool Doggy
- Where is the dog?
- How would you describe the dog’s character traits?
- Who is accompanying the dog?
- What holiday or season is this? How do you know?
- Why is the dog sitting in a chair wearing sunglasses?
15. Veterinarian Holding Cat
- Why is the cat visiting a veterinarian?
- At what is the cat looking?
- How would you describe the man?
- What tools will the doctor use to heal the cat?
Picture Writing Prompts for Kids
Now you have a quality collection of picture writing prompts for kids that you can use as morning work, during writer’s workshop, or as early finisher activities.
Download a copy of these picture writing prompts PDF style via Google Slides. (You must be logged into your Google account in order to make a copy.)
Did you find these picture writing prompts for kids helpful? If so, we think you might also enjoy … funny pictures for writing prompts