Gather information about fourth graders’ beliefs and preferences using these opinion writing prompts for 4th grade students.
Not only do these opinion writing topics reduce writer’s block, they activate critical thinking, boost confidence in expressing ideas, and develop the writing skills of fourth graders.
That’s why these opinion writing prompts for 4th grade students make a great addition to your writing prompt collection.
So pencil into your lesson plans this week a few of these fun opinion writing prompts for 4th grade writers.
Opinion Writing Prompts for 4th Grade
Incorporate these 4th grade opinion writing prompts into your lessons so that students will be motivated to share their thinking about certain ideas.
1. In your opinion, is it still necessary to learn cursive writing? Why or why not?
2. School uniforms? Write a letter to your principal sharing your opinion about this matter.
3. What’s the best way to celebrate school spirit week? Share a few ideas.
4. Should kids be allowed to watch violent movies or TV shows? Why or why not?
5. What’s the most important school supply in your desk and why?
6. Your teacher is asking your opinion regarding a few new class rewards. Mention at least two of your favorites, and explain why she should select one of your choices.
7. In your opinion, at what age should kids have a cell phone?
8. What nonfiction book should all 4th graders be encouraged to read? Why?
9. Among Easter, Thanksgiving, and Halloween, which holiday is best? Explain your thinking.
10. Why should exercise be a daily part of everyone’s routine?
11. Do you prefer virtual learning or in-person learning? Which do you think is best for learning?
12. In your opinion, is an apartment or a house better to live in? Explain.
13. Do you believe that schools should be strict with the dress code? Why or why not?
14. Why do you think some type of brain break should be incorporated into each lesson? Share your opinion.
15. What is your opinion about the school year being extended into the summer?
16. Do you feel that fourth graders are responsible enough to use cell phones in the classroom?
17. How do you feel about the school week being shortened to four days? Share your opinion.
18. Do you think that schools should sell junk food to kids after school? Why or why not?
19. Which state in the United States is best? Explain your thinking.
20. The school cafeteria is asking students’ opinions about the new menu that will be offered starting next month. Which meal options should be added and why?
21. In your opinion, should children be allowed to consume sweet beverages every day? Why or why not?
22. What characteristics do you think makes a good friend?
23. In your opinion, what’s the absolute best thing about being in fourth grade?
24. Which season, in your opinion, is best for participating in outdoor sports and activities? Explain.
25. Which day of the week do you prefer to eat in the cafeteria? Why?
26. Should students be allowed to choose their teachers? Why or why not?
27. What’s the best classroom helper job? Why?
28. Which items in your desk are the most important for learning? Share your opinion.
29. Some people think recycling is a waste of time. How do you feel about the matter?
30. In your opinion, what is one book every fourth grader should read and why?
31. What, in your opinion, is the best way to improve one’s grades quickly? Share a few strategies for success.
32. In your opinion, how does responding to fourth grade writing prompts develop and/or improve your writing skills?
33. Should more time be given to recess? Why or why not?
34. Do you agree that the school days should be shorter? Explain your thinking.
35. Should people be encouraged to recycle more or just to consume less?
36. What types of science and social studies activities do you think would keep 4th graders more engaged in the lessons?
37. What is one thing about your school that needs to change and why?
38. Is family more important than friendships? Explain your stance.
39. Pretend your teacher is thinking to invite a well-known person to visit the class. Who should she invite and why?
40. What makes your favorite sports team better than its competitors?
41. In schools, should there be winners and losers in sports, or should everyone receive a participation prize?
42. Would you rather be intelligent, rich, or popular? Explain your choice.
43. Should there be limits on where owners are able to bring their pets? (e.g. restaurants) Why or why not?
44. In your opinion, is it always a good idea to share your opinion when asked, even if doing so will hurt the feelings of the other person?
45. Is it a good idea to keep animals in zoos? Why or why not?
46. Should individuals keep their distance from negative people? Why or why not?
47. Which is best…movie or book versions? Why do you think so?
48. Convince the host of a sand-building contest to give you the #1 prize.
49. In your opinion, which technological invention should have never been invented and why?
50. What is the most interesting book you have ever read and why?
51. Brainstorm 10 places in the world that you think everyone should visit at least once in their life and explain why.
52. What role do you think robots will play 50 years from now?
Final Thoughts: Opinion Writing Prompts for 4th Grade
Now you have a collection of opinion writing prompts for 4th grade students that you may use for various writing activities.