Tap into your second graders’ preferences and beliefs using these amazing opinion writing prompts for 2nd grade students.
Not only do these prompts reduce writer’s block, but they also promote critical thinking and encourage learners to develop their writing skills.
So pencil into your writer’s workshop plans this week a few of these opinion writing prompts for 2nd grade students.
Opinion Writing Prompts for 2nd Grade Students
Motivate students to share their thinking using these opinion writing prompts for 2nd grade.
1. In your opinion, what are some things about your school that need to change?
2. What is your favorite online game? Explain why it is better than other online games.
3. Why do you think schools require students to wear uniforms? Should uniforms be mandatory every day, only a few days a week, or never?
4. In your opinion, what is the best read-aloud your teacher has ever shared? What made it so interesting?
5. Which is best… this school year or last? Explain.
6. If you could choose to live in an igloo or a tent, which would you choose and why?
7. What is the best P.E game? Why is it so great?
8. If you had to recommend a pet to someone who is allergic to fur, which animals would you recommend and why?
9. What are some things that the teacher can do to make the next math lesson exciting?
10. Which study skills are most beneficial for helping students make good grades on tests?
11. Which school subject is the most exciting? Why do you think this?
12. Explain why you think the school cafeteria should or should not serve more vegetables.
13. Many kids hate broccoli. Why should more children eat it though?
14. On Fridays, should recess be extended for an extra ten minutes? Why or why not?
15. Which is better for learning: watching an educational video or reading an article about a topic? Explain your reasoning.
16. In your opinion, why should people limit the amount of soda they drink?
17. Why should schools offer a nut-free zone in the cafeteria for students who have allergies?
18. Do you prefer strawberry or chocolate milk? Why do you like one better than the other?
19. Which day of the week is best? What makes you think so?
20. Do you believe second graders should be able to sit wherever they want in class?
21. In your opinion, should people learn how to cook when they are children? Why or why not?
22. What are the benefits of learning a skill when young?
23. What is your opinion on the two best things about being in second grade?
24. If you find money on the playground, do you keep it or tell a teacher? Explain.
25. In your opinion, do cats or dogs make better pets? Explain why.
26. Should there be a limit to how much time children watch TV each day? If so, what should be the limit?
27. What is the best part of summer vacation? Why do you think this?
28. Do you think ice cream or fruit is a better dessert option? Why?
29. What’s the best superpower to possess? In your opinion, why is this ability so great to have?
30. Would you rather be the best sports player or the smartest student? Explain your choice.
31. What is the best piece of equipment on your playground? What makes it so much fun?
32. Do you believe that kids should be given an allowance for completing chores? Why or why not?
33. In your opinion, should the teacher allow a class pet?
34. Is it important to have good manners? Why or why not?
35. If you could choose, would the teacher eat lunch with the class every day, once a week, or never? Why do you prefer this option?
36. What makes your school better than others?
37. Do you believe zoos are meant to protect or harm animals? Why do you think this?
38. Should bikers be required to wear a helmet? Why or why not?
39. In your opinion, should homework be given for those with good grades? What alternatives do you recommend?
40. Which types of food are best to eat when sick? Explain why you think so.
41. Do you think a squirrel would make a good pet? Why or why not?
42. Do you feel that children should be forced to play with someone known as a bully?
43. Should kids be allowed to go to bed when they want? What do you think is a decent bedtime for the weekday and for the weekend?
44. What is your opinion on what it means to be a good friend?
45. In your opinion, should homework be given every night or only occasionally?
46. Think of the best teacher you’ve ever had. What made him/her so special?
47. In your opinion, what consequences should bullies be given?
48. Would you rather walk or bike to school? Why?
49. Should all second graders be required to eat in the cafeteria? Why or why not?
50. What’s the worst classroom helper job and why?
51. Which is the best food item that the cafeteria serves? Why do you think this?
Final Thoughts: Opinion Writing Prompts for 2nd Grade
Now you have a ready supply of opinion writing prompts for 2nd grade students to use for various writing activities.