Celebrate golden leaves, cooler weather, and all things autumn-related using these fun fall writing prompts.
Not only do these prompts reduce writer’s block, they strengthen writing skills, instill a love for writing, and motivate students to share their experiences.
That’s why these fall writing prompts make a great addition to your collection of autumn writing activities.
So include a handful in your instruction this week.
Related: October writing prompts
Fall Writing Prompts
Following you will find a variety of fall writing prompts that even reluctant writers enjoy.
1. Describe how your town looks and feels on a typical fall day.
2. Here are the best things about fall…
3. Compare and contrast fall and spring.
4. Write a letter convincing your parents to take you to a fall festival.
5. Describe an apple to someone who has never seen one.
6. What activities are best done in cooler whether and why?
7. You must fill a cornucopia with items that represent gratitude. What items will you put in your cornucopia and why?
8. Describe the fall season.
9. What are the benefits of responding to fall writing prompts?
10. Explain football to someone not familiar with the sport.
11. In your opinion, what is special about the fall season?
12. State the characteristics of a tarantula.
13. Using the five senses, describe autumn leaves.
14. Describe how you would design the cover of a Thanksgiving magazine.
15. Convince your friends to help you raise money for a local charity.
16. You’re planning a fall classroom party. What activities, food, music, etc. will you have?
17. List all the words (2-letter, 3-letter, 4-letter, and 5-letter) that you can make using the letters from the term autumn.
18. Write a haiku with a fall theme.
19. You were hit on the head by an acorn. Now you have special powers. Write about your special powers.
20. A family of friendly spiders lives in a cobweb located in your room. At night, they speak to you. What are some conversations you have with them?
21. From A to Z, write a word for every letter of the alphabet related to fall.
22. You and your best friend get lost in a corn maize overnight. Write about the adventures you experience throughout the night.
23. Draft a story based around these three words: hayride, crisp, corn
24. Write a combination of similes and metaphors to describe fall.
25. Summarize a fall-themed book you heard or read recently.
26. Come up with a social media hashtag for fall. What ideas and events will your hashtag be known for?
27. Write a diary entry from the perspective of a falling leaf.
28. A.U.T.U.M.N – Create an acrostic poem using the word autumn.
29. Write two math word problems that involved something related to the fall season.
30. Share, step-by-step, a fun fall arts and crafts project you think your classmates may enjoy.
31. Create any story you’d like about fall.
32. I’m creating a new fall beverage. Here’s how to make it…
33. What is your favorite way to spend a rainy fall afternoon?
34. I wake up and realize that I’m a leaf. Here’s a typical day for me…
35. Dear Pen Pal. Three traditions celebrated in my country during the fall season are…
35. Describe how to decorate a classroom to give it a fall theme.
36. Design a bumper sticker to advertise the fall season.
37. What outdoor activities are best done in the fall and why?
38. Explain why leaves change their colors in autumn.
39. Create a fall-themed creating card.
40. Write a story about a scarecrow that comes to life.
41. Draft a letter convincing your teacher to take the class on a field trip to a pumpkin patch.
42. Create a series of fall writing prompts your classmates may like.
Final Thoughts: Fall Writing Prompts
Now you have a quality collection of fall writing prompts to use for various writing activities.
If you found these fall writing prompts helpful, you may be interested in … fall read aloud books.