Here you will find a ready-supply of creative writing topics for 5th grade students.
Not only do these fifth grade writing topics reduce writer’s block, but they also encourage students to improve their writing, express their thoughts, explore creativity plus stretch their imaginations.
Writer’s workshop just became a bit more exciting!
So add a few of these creative writing topics for 5th grade into your instruction this week.
Creative Writing Topics for 5th Grade Students
creative writing topics for 5th grade
1. Rewrite the ending to your favorite fairy tale.
2. Write a creative story about traveling in space.
3. Describe a typical day in the life of a remote control.
4. Write a story about going back or forward in time at least 100 years.
5. Invent a new ice cream flavor.
6. You have been transformed into a video game. Describe what your day is like.
7. The headline reads, “Man Finds Fossils In Backyard!”. Write the news story.
8. You have the ability to fly. Describe your adventures.
9. Describe music but only using colors. What colors do you choose and why?
10. If you could open your own restaurant, what kind of restaurant would it be? Describe it.
11. You are teacher for the day. Share details about your fun day.
12. As you’re walking to recess, you notice a secret door next to the principal’s office. You go in. Write a story about your adventure.
13. Make-up a new outdoor game, and explain how to play it.
14. Once everyone is asleep, the appliances in your kitchen start talking. Write a story about what happens.
15. Write a recipe for having success on standardized tests.
16. Rewrite the story of the gingerbread man but from the point of view of the wolf.
17. Your new pair of sandals are magical! Write about your exciting adventures with them.
18. The answer is “Christmas Day”. Write six different questions.
19. List 10 words related to space. Then compose a poem that includes the words.
20. Write a story that focuses on at least three of the five words: auditorium, lost, curtains, hidden, singing
21. If you lived on the moon, what types of activities would you do?
22. The challenge is to drop an egg on the floor without it breaking. What strategies might you try to keep the egg from breaking?
23. Explain how to win a hot-dog-eating contest.
24. You arrive home to find an alien sleeping in your bed. Write a story about what happens next.
25. Write a story about a day in the life of an ant.
26. If a basketball could talk, what would it tell you about it’s life?
28. If you could put together a variation of any three words to create a new term, what would your new word be? What is its meaning?
29. You will interview the owner of an animal shelter. Write a script with a list of questions you’ll ask him along with his responses.
30. You discover a secret cave where you decide to build a new community. What rules will you establish to maintain law and order?
31. F.I.F.T.H G.R.A.D.E – Create an acrostic poem using the phrase fifth grade.
32. Describe the color red to a person who cannot see.
33. List all the words (2-letter, 3-letter, 4-letter, 5-letter, 6-letter, 7-letter, 8-letter, 9-letter, 10-letter, and 11-letter) that you can using the letters from the word hippopotamus.
34. If you were invisible for a day, what sneaky things would you do?
35. Write a creative story about a superhero who teaches fifth graders how to pass all tests without studying.
36. As you are walking outside, it begins raining cereal with milk. Write about what happens next.
37. If you could choose any emoji to represent how you are feeling today, which would you select and why?
38. Write a story about an astronaut who walks on Mars.
39. Grandma always told me to be careful what I wished for. But I never thought it would end like this… Finish the story.
40. Time travel is fun. On my first trip, I traveled to…
41. Write a story about a dragon who seeks to destroy the world.
42. “Welcome to your new life,” he shouted with happiness. Yet, I only felt sadness.
43. Write a story from the perspective of somebody who landed in their favorite video game and can’t get out.
44. If you had a time machine that could only work once, what point in the past or future would you visit? Why?
45. Write a story about someone who travels 150 years into the future.
46. All Ben could hear were the footsteps behind him. He turned around and was faced with…
47. Write a story that starts and finishes with the same sentence.
48. Draft a story about a character who has just discovered she can read people’s minds.
49. Write a story from the perspective of a duck that grew up with flying cows.
50. What if your shadow became a real person? Describe some of the fun things you two would do.
51. I kept digging until I hit metal. I found the capsule. Hidden inside was…
Final Thoughts: Creative Writing Topics for 5th Grade
Now you have an assortment of creative writing topics for 5th grade that you can use during writer’s workshop.
For tips on assessing these creative writing topics, see Common Core English Language Arts Standards for 5th Grade.