Writing Topics for Students
Here you will find a treasure-trove of engaging writing topics. No longer will students wonder what to write about during writing workshop.
These writing topics reduce writer’s block, spark creativity, encourage expression of ideas, and improve writing skills.
Even reluctant writers enjoy responding to these writing topics!
No matter the grade you teach, you’ll find a topic here to fit the needs and preferences of your students.
Related: 1000+ writing prompts for students
Family Writing Topics
- Write about a fight you had with a sibling.
- Tell about a time when you helped your parents cook a meal.
- Retell a time when you helped your grandparents use technology.
- Write about a time when you met a cousin for the first time.
Food Writing Topics
- Tell about a time when you tried a new food that you actually liked.
- Share a story about when you learned how to make a special meal or snack.
- Write about a time when ants got into your food.
- Retell about a time when you mistakenly ate or drank something that was rotten or spoiled.
Writing Topics About Learning
- Share your experience learning how to solve a hard math problem.
- Write about your experience learning how to write in cursive.
- Retell the story about when you learned how to play a new online game.
- When did you learn how to speak up for yourself? Tell about the experience.
Writing Topics About Animals
- Share about getting your first pet.
- Write about a time when you had something crawling on you.
- Retell a time when you touched a snake or another animal at a zoo.
- Write about an experience trying to get rid of a roach.
- Tell about a time when you were bitten by a mosquito.
Writing Topics About Vacation
- Share about a time when you had a stay-vacation. What did you do? How did you feel?
- Write about the best attraction you saw while on a vacation. What was it? What made it so special?
- Retell a memory of visiting a national park.
- Write about the best vacation you have taken with family or friends. Where did you go, and what made it so great?
- Share a story about camping.
General Writing Topics
- Write a story about your favorite article of clothing.
- How would you use your superpower if you could talk to animals?
- Tell about something embarrassing that happened to you.
- Explain how you are different from other people.
- Do you like to be outside or inside more? Why?
- Write about the last time you got hurt.
- Explain what you would do if you could be invisible for a day.
- Would you rather be a bird or a fish? Explain why.
- Do you like your birthday or Christmas better? Explain.
- Describe some things, places, and people that bring you happiness.
- What worries you the most?
- Write a story about a friendly animal.
- Convince your teacher to get a class pet.
- Write a story about a character who has just discovered she can read people’s minds.
- Persuade your teacher to watch your favorite movie.
- Would you rather camp at the beach or in the forest? Explain why.
- Describe how you would decorate your room if you could do anything you wanted to it.
- If you could start your own business, what would it be and why?
- You are making a time capsule set to open in ten years. What do you put in it? Explain why you chose these items.
- Describe how to perform a particular math skill.
- What do you think you would find if you visited the moon?
- If you could give yourself a nickname, what would it be and why?
- Write about a famous person or fictional character you relate to.
- Describe a time when you were very angry.
- How can you show other people you care about them?
- Draft a new chapter for your favorite book.
- How old were you when you lost your first tooth? Retell how it fell out.
- If you could eat anything in the world for dinner tonight, what would you ask for and why?
- What colors do you feel best represent sadness? Why do you think so?
- Tell about a time when you slipped and fell. How did it make you feel when it happened?
For support, teach students how to respond well to these writing topics.
Writing topics ❤