Encourage your second graders to show what they know using these high-interest writing topics for second grade.
These narrative-style writing topics for second grade bring out the best in your 2nd grade students by encouraging them to reflect on life experiences, express personal stories, and produce great written content.
What’s more, they’ll have the opportunity to apply all the writing skills they’ve been learning about in writer’s workshop.
So include a few of these writing topics for second grade in your lessons this week.
Writing Topics for Second Grade
Here you’ll find a variety of writing topics for second grade that even your reluctant writers will love!
1. A scary trip to the hospital
2. First time flying on an airplane
3. A time when you forgot your homework at home
4. Funny thing that happened when learning a second language
5. A time you helped your family prepare a special meal
6. The day a special relative was born
7. A weird noise that scared you
8. A scary incident
9. When you felt like the luckiest kid in the world
10. A time when you lost something very important to you
11. Winning a medal in the science fair
12. A time when you just couldn’t stop laughing
13. Participation in a talent show
14. An experience about a haircut gone bad
15. A joke your sibling or family played on you
16. When you won a prize
17. A time when you almost got into trouble even though you were innocent
18. Participation in a Halloween parade
19. A time when you were very sick
20. An experience of completing a challenging puzzle
21. First time eating sushi or other food
22. A time that you were frustrated with your classmates
23. Experience of having a picnic in the park
24. A time you were forced to apologize to someone you hurt
25. The happiest moment so far in second grade
26. A time when you accidentally spilled something
27. Experience of riding in your parents brand new car
28. A time when you made a perfect score (or close to it) on a spelling or math quiz
29. The day you met your second grade teacher
30. A time when you were really worried about someone you love
31. Write about the great characteristics of your first grade teacher.
32. Write about what you think your life will be like in 10 years.
33. Getting a special pet
34. Experience cooking in the kitchen with someone special
35. An invention you would create to make life easier for people
36. Career you would like to have when you grow up and why
37. Best moment from second grade so far
38. What you miss most from kindergarten and why
39. A talent you have that you are most proud of
40. Favorite memory with a sibling or cousin
41. Why it’s bad to be a bully
42. What do you think your mom or dad was like at your age?
43. Write two or three writing topics for second grade your teacher might like.
44. Memorable time that you have playing in the pool or ocean
45. A time when you felt so alone
46. Feelings that you experience when you listen to your favorite music
47. Scary experience
48. Share a moment in school when you feel super special.
49. Memorable road-trip adventure with family or friends
50. A time when you helped a student who was not your good friend
51. What you would buy if you had a million dollars
Use these writing topics for second grade for homework, morning work, early finisher activities, or independent writing practice.
For support, teach students how to respond well to these writing topics for second grade.
-If you liked these writing topics for second grade, you might also be interested in … writing prompts for second grade
-See also more writing topics