If your third graders are struggling to figure out what to write about, share this list of writing topics for third grade with them.
They will be inspired to produce something great.
These writing topics for third grade are not only engaging but they prompt 3rd graders to share personal stories, reflect on life experiences, and improve writing skills.
Even your most reluctant writers will be motivated to push their pencils!
So bring out the best in students using these fun third grade writing topics.
Writing Topics for Third Grade
Find here a collection of writing topics for third grade that can be used for a variety of writing activities.
1. Write about the weirdest dream you’ve ever had.
2. Tell about an interesting find when cleaning out the garage or attic.
3. Write about getting a new pair of cool shoes.
4. Share a memory about beating a great player at a game.
5. Describe a time when you had a water balloon fight with friends or family.
6. Retell an interesting encounter with a bug or insect.
7. Tell about a time getting stung by a bee.
8. Summarize the best field trip you took last school year.
9. Describe a time when you cried of happiness.
10. Retell the most memorable Christmas morning.
11. Write about a dream that frightened you.
12. Share homework tips you have learned.
13. Tell about the first time meeting your best friend.
14. Share a proud moment when learning how to play a musical instrument.
15. Describe the best birthday party you’ve ever attended.
16. Share a scary moment when learning how to swim.
17. Write about learning how to use a new app.
18. Tell about the time when your class did a really incredible science experiment.
19. Share a memorable day or weekend with a good friend.
20. Tell about the most memorable Field Day event.
21. Describe a time when you surprised your mom or dad with a nice gift.
22. Retell the first time you wore eyeglasses.
23. Write about a time when you won a race.
24. Share an interesting visit to the dentist.
25. Tell about a memorable ride on a school bus.
26. Write about a time when you were caught being mischievous.
27. Tell about a favorite game that you used to play in kindergarten.
28. Describe the happiest moment so far in third grade.
29. Write about a memorable experience during an extracurricular activity.
30. Write about the worst present you ever received.
31. Tell about a time when you had to visit the dentist to get a cavity filled.
32. Share tricks for solving a math problem easily.
33. Describe a time when you lost a competition but did your best.
34. Retell a time when you received an award.
35. What qualities make a great student?
36. Tell about a time when you felt nervous.
37. Write about a very unusual day.
38. Compare and contrast a third grader’s life today to one 50 years ago.
39. Retell a memorable road-trip adventure with family or friends.
40. Summarize a good book you read recently.
41. How do you feel when you listen to your favorite music?
42. What talents are you most proud of and why?
43. Write about a time when you felt so alone.
44. Tell about a time when you got injured.
45. Draft a story about you flying.
46. Write about what you think your life will be like in five years.
47. Share a memorable time when you played in the swimming pool.
48. Retell a favorite memory with a sibling, best pal, or cousin.
49. What are your dreams for the future?
50. What you will miss most from elementary school?
51. Tell about an invention you would create to make life easier for pets.
Final Thoughts: Writing Topics for Third Graders
Your 3rd grade learners will never again be at a loss for what to write about using these writing topics for third grade.
For support, teach students how to respond well to these 3rd grade writing topics.
Related: third grade writing prompts