Encourage second graders to show what they know using these high-interest writing topics for second grade.
These engaging writing topics for second grade bring out the best in 2nd-grade students by encouraging them to reflect on life experiences, express personal stories, and produce great written content.
What’s more, they’ll have the opportunity to apply all the writing skills they’ve been learning in writer’s workshop.
So include a few of these writing topics for second grade in your lessons this week.
Writing Topics for Second Grade
1. Tell about a scary trip to the hospital.
2. Share a memorable airplane ride experience.
3. Tell about a time when you forgot your homework at home.
4. Retell a funny thing that happened when learning a second language.
5. Write about a time when you helped your family prepare a special meal.
6. Describe the day a special relative was born.
7. Tell about a weird noise that scared you.
8. Describe a scary incident.
9. Tell about when you felt like the luckiest kid in the world.
10. Tell about a time when you lost something very important to you.
11. Write about winning a medal at the science fair.
12. Share a time when you just couldn’t stop laughing.
13. Write about your participation in a talent show.
14. What’s your favorite school subject and why?
15. Tell about a joke your sibling or family played on you.
16. Write about a prize you won.
17. Tell about a time when you almost got into trouble even though you were innocent.
18. Share a Halloween parade memory.
19. Describe a time when you were sick.
20. Share an experience of completing a challenging puzzle.
21. Tell about your first time eating sushi.
22. Write about a time when you were frustrated with your classmates.
23. Describe an experience having a picnic in the park.
24. Tell about a time when you were forced to apologize to someone you hurt.
25. Describe what makes your school special.
26. Write about a time when you accidentally spilled something.
27. Share an experience of riding in your parents’ brand new car.
28. Tell about a time when you made a perfect score (or close to it) on a spelling or math quiz.
29. Retell the day you met your second-grade teacher.
30. Tell about a time when you were really worried about someone you love.
31. What qualities make a great teacher?
32. Share your after-school routine.
33. What are the pros and cons of owning a pet?
34. Share an experience cooking with someone special
35. Write about a time when you felt frustrated.
36. Describe a fun art project you did recently.
37. What has been the best moment from second grade?
38. What do you miss most from last school year and why?
39. Describe your strengths as a student.
40. What are some things that most people don’t know about you?
41. Tell why it’s bad to be a bully.
42. What do you think your mom or dad was like at your age?
43. Describe the best dessert you’ve ever tasted.
44. Describe a fun memory between you and your pet.
45. Tell about a time when you felt alone.
46. Retell a fun recess memory.
47. Tell about a time when you presented in front of the class.
48. Describe a time when you felt proud of yourself.
49. Share a fun vacation memory.
50. Tell about a time when you helped a senior citizen.
51. What you would buy if you had a million dollars?
Final Thoughts: Writing Topics for Second Grade
Use these writing topics for second grade as homework, morning work, or as independent writing practice.
For support, teach students how to respond well to these writing topics.
Related: writing prompts for second grade