Motivate your 4th graders to express themselves using engaging writing topics for fourth grade students.
No longer will they waste time trying to figure out what to write about during writing workshop.
These writing topics for fourth grade help students reflect upon past experiences plus improve their writing skills.
So give students a few of these fourth grade writing topics to explore this week.
Writing Topics for Fourth Grade
1. Write about a memorial day together with just you and mom (or dad).
2. Share a vacation that took a turn for the worst.
3. Tell about a time when you accidentally broke something.
4. Describe your most prized possession.
5. Write about a hidden talent you have.
6. Share something beautiful that happened at a wedding.
7. Tell about a cool trick your pet can perform.
8. Retell the story of performing in a play.
9. Describe a personal connection you have with a character from a book.
10. Write about a scary incident that happened while your parents were driving.
11. Share about a time when you went fishing.
12. Tell about your favorite project or craft done in art class.
13. Tell about a time when you got lost.
14. Retell the time when you built a snowman.
15. Write about a time when you made angels in the snow.
16. Describe the cozy place in your home where you love to relax.
17. Tell your least favorite chore to do at home.
18. Share a time when you helped an adult use technology.
19. Tell about your favorite literacy or math center.
20. Retell a time when you apologized to someone for hurting him/her.
21. Describe the person who has had the most positive impact on your life.
22. Share a memorable time flying a kite.
23. Tell a memory about a time when you experienced a natural disaster.
24. Describe a special photograph.
25. Tell about a time when you slipped and fell.
26. Describe a unique tradition of your culture.
27. Write about a time when you felt like you were treated unfairly.
28. Share the most exciting moment from fourth grade so far.
29. Tell about a trip to the nurse when you were feeling ill.
30. Share a time when you were frustrated with your parents.
31. Describe your favorite outfit to wear.
32. Summarize a time when you did not enjoy working in a group.
33. Write about your favorite children’s author.
34. Describe your favorite indoor recess activity.
35. Write about a time when you participated in the school’s science fair.
36. Share a favorite memory that involved you and a close relative.
37. Tell an experience of learning a new skill or sport.
38. Write about a time when you received a bad haircut or hairstyle.
39. Tell the pros and cons of fourth graders being on social media.
40. Describe what activities you like to do on a snow day.
41. Retell the experience of driving a go-cart.
42. Summarize a dream you had that frightened you.
43. What do you think the world would be like if fourth graders ruled it?
44. If you could raise money for any local charity, which would you choose and why?
45. Share the emotions you feel when listening to your favorite music.
46. What are some things that you wish your teacher knew about you?
47. What you are most looking forward to next school year?
48. Share about a time when you fell off your bike.
49. Describe a personal experience getting a tooth pulled.
50. Share a Christmas or birthday memory of when you did not receive the gifts you expected.
51. What do you imagine your life will be like in 20 years?
52. Share and describe a hidden talent you have.
53. Write about what your life might be like at 100 years old.
54. Write about one big problem that you wish you could solve and why.
Final Thoughts: Writing Topics for Fourth Grade
Now you have a ready-supply of writing topics for fourth grade students to use for a variety of writing activities.
For ideas on assessing these writing prompts for fourth grade, see the 4th Grade Common Core English Language Arts Standards.
Related: fourth grade writing prompts