If you’re doing a unit on superheroes or just want to add a bit of fun to writer’s workshop, consider incorporating these creative superhero writing prompts for kids.
Not only do these superhero writing prompts and story starters reduce writer’s block, they improve writing skills, spark imagination, and encourage struggling writers to confidently express their ideas.
So include a few of these high-interest superhero writing prompts as part of your literacy block.
Superhero Writing Prompts
Even reluctant writers will move their pencils and pens in order to respond to these superhero writing prompts!
1. No one’s perfect. So if you were a superhero, what would be your weaknesses?
2. Write a story about a super hero dog or cat who saves the day! Who does the dog/cat help and why?
3. What characteristics make a bad superhero?
4. If you were a superhero, what type of wardrobe would you have?
5. Write a short story about a superhero who saves students from doing homework.
6. How is your mom like a superhero?
7. Some superheroes have a secret identity so that they can live a normal life at times. If you were a superhero, how would you describe your secret identity?
8. S.U.P.E.R.H.E.R.O – Create an acrostic poem using the word superhero.
9. Write 10 words related to being a superhero. Then compose a poem including these words.
10. Describe the personality traits of a great superhero.
11. Imagine that you’re a superhero who lives underwater. What special powers do you possess, and how do you use them to keep the sea peaceful?
12. Compose a short story about your favorite superhero as a kid.
13. Create any piece of writing you’d like about a superhero. Your writing piece can be comedy, mystery, fantasy, tall tale, poetry, persuasive, or informative.
14. Write about what you might do if you had the super power to become invisible.
15. For 24 hours, you get to possess any superpower. What will it be, and how will you use it to help others?
More Superhero Themed Writing Prompts
16. Write a story using these three words: superhero, defeat, zap
17. Imagine one day in science class an experiment goes terribly wrong and now you and your classmates have superpowers! What are your superpowers and how do you use them?
18. Describe a typical day in the life of a superhero’s wife or husband.
19. Pretend that your superpower is a keen sense of smell. How can you use this gift to your advantage?
20. Who is your favorite superhero? Why?
21. Of all the animals you can think of, which have features that would make it an incredible superhero?
22. What type of animal do you think would make a good pet for a superhero and why?
23. Tell what challenges a superhero might face on a regular basis.
24. What hobbies would you have as a superhero? Why do you find these activities interesting?
26. What personality traits do you possess that would make you a good superhero?
27. Even though superheroes are fictional characters, who in your life represents a superhero and why?
28. Compare and contrast a superhero and a villain.
29. Write a short story about your dad being a superhero who saves your town from destruction.
30. Use imagination to share all the ways a superhero travels from place to place.
31. List all the words (2-letter, 3-letter, 4-letter, 5-letter, 6-letter, 7-letter, and 8-letter) that you can make using the letters from the word superhero.
32. Draft a story about yourself as a hero.
See more themed writing prompts.
Superhero Story Starters
Add these wonderful story starters to your collection of superhero writing prompts.
33. If I were a superhero, these gift requests would be on my Christmas list…
34. A real-life superhero in my life is ____ because…
35. If I had a superpower, it would be…
36. I would describe a superhero’s house like this…
37. As the sun sets, the mermaid transforms into an underwater superhero who…
38. Sam the Superhero has just been alerted that his help is needed on the beach so he…
39. If I were a superhero, I would seek assistance from _____ because…
40. Samantha the Superhero blinked her eyes and then vanished into thin air just as…
41. The best superpower to possess is ___ because…
42. I can be a superhero to someone by…
Q & A: Superhero Writing Prompts
What is a hero writing prompt?
A hero writing prompt is a writing topic that centers on the actions of a person who has performed a helpful deed for others, usually in the form of saving them from something.
What can I write about my superhero?
When writing about your superhero, highlight the characteristics that make the person special. Describe the actions that show why he or she is significant to you.
How do you start a superhero essay?
To start a superhero essay, open with an introduction that grabs the reader’s attention. Examples include beginning with dialogue, action, surprise, or a classic statement such as “Once upon a time…”.