Giving proper attention to your spelling report card comments is essential.
As professionals, we’re often judged based on how well we spell and/or write.
Fair or not, it’s an assumption that can create a less-than-positive perception if the product isn’t up to par.
That’s why it’s our job as educators to support students as they develop into competent and confident spellers.
Throughout their journeys, teachers may utilize spelling report card comments to communicate how well students are progressing with spelling skills.
However, the task of drafting report card comments for spelling can be time-consuming and overwhelming.
That’s where these helpful spelling report card comments come in.
Use the following spelling report card comments to document how well students are progressing with spelling learning objectives.
Related: phonics report card comments
Spelling Report Card Comments
Here you will find a variety of spelling report card comments that express students’ strengths and weaknesses along with next steps.
- _______does a fantastic job of checking her work for spelling errors.
- When drafting a piece of writing in writer’s workshop, ________appropriately utilizes reference materials such as a dictionary to assist with spelling.
- _______is highly proficient in spelling with accuracy across all subject areas.
- According to documentation, _______is proficient in using the spelling pattern of (insert specific grade-level appropriate spelling pattern).
- _______exhibits a strong command of the grade-level spelling expectations.
- When drafting pieces of writing on an electronic device, ________habitually and appropriately utilizes spell check to review his work.
- ________naturally excels in the subject of spelling.
- With high frequency,______applies grade-appropriate spelling patterns when drafting writing pieces.
- ________is excited to demonstrate his outstanding spelling knowledge in this year’s school spelling bee.
- ________spells words with the spelling pattern (insert specific spelling pattern) with 80% or higher accuracy.
- Overall, ________demonstrates much difficulty in applying grade-level spelling patterns and rules within context.
- Though ________knows the spelling rules, he refuses to apply those rules when writing due to minimal effort.
- ________often makes careless spelling mistakes during Writer’s Workshop because he often forgets to use the spelling checklist after drafting a piece of writing.
- Because______regularly neglects to complete her spelling homework, her grade is significantly decreasing each week.
- Letter combinations such as (insert letter combination of difficulty) are challenging for _______.
- ________numerous spelling errors interferes with the reader’s ability to comprehend her text.
- During sentence dictation of the week’s spelling tests, ________struggles with spelling grade-appropriate words within context though she does well when writing them in isolation.
- _______has much potential, but because he frequently refuses to prepare for spelling tests, he performs poorly.
- While _______writes the week’s spelling words correctly on the spelling test, within context (e.g. while using those same words within her daily writing), she commonly misspells the words.
- _______requires reinforcement in mastering how to spell grade-level appropriate basic sight words.
- I recommend that ________check her spelling using grade-appropriate dictionaries.
- _______requires strengthening of phonemic awareness.
- I suggest with ________study the weekly spelling words for at least 15 minutes each weeknight so that her spelling test performance improves.
- Let’s meet next week to discuss solutions to _____ delayed progress in spelling.
- Weekly, _____ should practice application of spelling skills using writing prompts.
Wrapping Up: Spelling Report Card Comments
Now you have a quality collection of spelling report card comments that guide you in crafting clear remarks about students’ progress with their spelling skills.