Celebrate the special events, days, traditions, memories, people, and ideas connected with the ninth month of the year using these free September writing prompts for students.
Not only do these September journal writing prompts take students on a journey of self-discovery, but they also encourage critical thinking, creativity, reflection, elaboration of thoughts, and application of skills.
That’s why these September writing prompts make a great addition to your collection of writing prompts.
So no matter the grade you teach, your students will benefit from these prompts.
So include a handful of these engaging September writing prompts into your instruction this week.
Related: September words list
September Writing Prompts
Utilize the following as prompts for September writing activities.
1. In your opinion, what are the best things about the month of September?
2. Compare and contrast September with another month.
3. Write a story about a superhero who climbs a skyscraper to save someone.
4. What does it mean to have good manners? Give examples and non-examples.
5. Write about a time when you were late for something. What were the cause and the effect?
6. Convince your classmates to read a book every day.
7. Would you rather play in the rain or the snow? Explain your choice.
8. What are some fun ideas for celebrating Literacy Week in your classroom?
9. Write a story about a teddy bear that comes to life for 24 hours.
10. What are some advantages of learning how to sew?
11. Draft a letter to your grandparents, sharing how much you love and appreciate them.
12. Describe your favorite video game or cartoon.
13. Explain the importance of having a growth mindset.
14. Tell about any interesting event that happens in your city during September.
15. Write about a usual day in the life of a hat.
16. Create a story about a person whose rock collection goes missing.
17. What does it mean to be a good citizen?
18. Compose a poem about a topic related to the month of September.
19. If a pirate went to school with you for a day, what adventures would you two have?
20. Create and solve two, grade-appropriate math problems that involve pepperoni pizza.
21. In what ways can you show gratitude towards others and things?
22. Compare and contrast autumn and spring.
23. Describe some fun outdoor activities best done during the fall months.
24. Detail what your town or city looks and feels like during autumn.
25. Create a short comic about a day in your life as a _____ grader.
26. Write a short biography about Johnny Appleseed.
27. Persuade your parents to take you to a local sporting event next weekend.
28. In your opinion, what makes a good neighbor?
29. Write a story that includes these words: autumn, leaves, bikes, golden, breezy
30. Summarize a good nonfiction book you read this month.
31. What are the benefits of responding to September writing prompts?
32. Compare and contrast fiction and nonfiction books.
33. Would you rather have all the money in the world or all the friends in the world? Explain your choice.
34. Compose a funny, fictional story about an electric pencil sharpener that dislikes pencils.
35. Provide examples and non-examples of following the rules at school.
36. Write a series of math word problems that involve topics or items related to the month of September.
37. Write a grocery list for a scarecrow. Why do you choose these items?
Now you have a ready-supply of engaging September writing prompts to use during writer’s workshop.
If you’d like a free printable of these prompts, download the September writing prompts calendar.
Enjoyed these writing prompts for September? If so, you might be interested in … yearly writing prompts for every month.