Writing prompts for second graders offer a fantastic opportunity to grow their writing skills plus encourage them to express their thoughts, ideas, and experiences on paper.
Whether you seek narrative, descriptive, persuasive, or informational second-grade writing prompts, these prompts will spark students’ imaginations, engage their minds, and help them develop their communication abilities.
Your students will always have plenty of ideas to write about.
That’s why these prompts make a great addition to your collection of second-grade writing activities.
So pencil into your lesson plans this week a few of these fun and engaging writing prompts for second graders.
Second-Grade Writing Prompts
1. Describe your favorite food.
2. What do you like most about second grade?
3. Write a poem about something related to second grade.
4. Summarize a book you heard or read recently.
5. Retell a story about one of your family’s special holiday traditions.
6. What is your favorite day of the week, and what makes it so special to you?
7. Tell about the coolest Halloween costume you ever wore.
8. Share a memory of when you felt excited.
9. Write a thank you note to the cafeteria staff.
10. How are you alike and different from your mom?
Related Content: Narrative Writing Prompts for 2nd Grade
11. Write a poem about an animal.
12. Talk about a special memory you have with a loved one.
13. Write an article for the school newspaper offering tips about how to show kindness.
14. Where could I go to find your favorite animal? Tell me about this place.
15. Using the five senses, describe water.
16. If you could have two superpowers, which would you have and why?
17. Tell what you like about yourself.
18. Should it be required to respond to second-grade writing prompts during the summer? Why or why not?
19. Describe your favorite recess game.
20. If you could trade places with an animal for a day, which one would it be and why?
21. Explain your favorite sport to someone who doesn’t know how to play.
22. Retell about a time that you did something kind for someone.
23. Which do you like more, art class or math class? Why?
24. Describe a time when you felt really scared and how you overcame your fear.
25. Share a memory about losing a tooth.
26. Write about a time when you felt really proud of something you did.
27. What is your favorite type of food? Write about why you like it so much.
28. Write about a time when you made a new friend and how you became friends.
29. Describe the perfect vacation.
30. Write the consequences of missing too much school.
31. If you were president, what rules would you make so that all citizens live peacefully?
32. Describe what you might see if you were on a spaceship looking out the window.
33. If you were a chef, what would be your favorite thing to cook and why?
34. Write a letter convincing classmates to sign-up for a new after-school club.
35. Tell about a time when you were looking for something but couldn’t find it.
36. Share what is so great about your family.
37. Write a story about a lost puppy and how you helped find its owner.
38. Share the experience of your first day of school this year.
39. Tell about a time when you tried a new food.
40. Write a story with an animal as the main character.
41. Share the worst things about being in second grade.
42. Tell three different things about the place where you were born.
43. Summarize a fun arts and crafts project you completed recently.
44. Provide examples and non-examples of being a good citizen.
45. Describe your favorite book and explain why you enjoy reading it.
46. What do you like to do on a rainy day? Write about your rainy-day activities.
47. Write about a time when you helped someone and how it made you feel.
48. Explain how to make a bed.
49. Write the characteristics of your dad.
50. How do you stay entertained without technology?
51. Write a story about something terrible that happened at a birthday party you once attended.
52. Describe your favorite indoor recess game.
53. Tell about a favorite class activity.
54. Write 10 words related to second grade. Then compose a poem that includes those words.
55. You wake up one morning with toes that have turned into icicles! Write about your day.
56. Give detailed instructions for how to make your favorite meal.
57. The answer is “The answer is in your notebook.”. Write five different questions.
58. Describe how to solve a math word problem.
59. If you were a kitten, what gift requests would be on your Christmas list and why?
60. Tell a story about a time you got lost.
61. Share one nice thing about each person who lives with you including your pets.
62. Write about your favorite animal and explain why you like it.
63. Imagine you could fly like a bird. Describe where you would go and what you would see.
64. Write a story about a talking toy that comes to life.
65. Describe your favorite place to play and what you like to do there.
66. Write a letter to your future self, telling yourself about your life right now.
67. Imagine you found a magic door in your house. Describe where it leads to.
68. Write a short poem about the colors of the rainbow.
69. Describe a day when you had a picnic in a magical forest.
70. Write a story about a magical painting that comes to life.
71. Describe a day at the beach, including all the things you would do there.
72. If you could invent a new ice cream flavor, what would it be and why?
73. Write a story about a friendly alien visiting your school.
74. Imagine you could talk to plants. What would you say to them and why?
75. Describe a perfect day of playing outside with your friends.
76. If you could have any pet, real or imaginary, what would it be and why?
77. Describe a make-believe creature and its special powers.
78. Write a story about a magical talking tree in your backyard.
79. What is your favorite season? Describe the things you like to do during that season.
80. If you could have any job in the world, what would it be and why?
81. Write about a family trip you went on and what you did there.
82. Imagine you could visit any place in the world. Where would you go and why?
83. Write a letter to a character from a book you’ve read, asking them questions.
84. Describe your dream treehouse. What would it look like and what would you do in it?
Fun Writing Prompts for Second Grade
85. What are your favorite things to do on the weekend?
86. Would you rather watch a funny movie, a sad movie, or a silly movie? Why?
87. Retell a fun beach memory.
88. Describe the best birthday gift you ever received.
89. Imagine you can shrink to the size of a bug. Describe your adventures in the backyard.
90. Describe a magical land that you visit in your dreams.
91. Write about a time you went on an adventure with your family.
92. Imagine you have a time machine. Where and when would you travel to?
93. Write a story about a friendly dragon that lives in your backyard.
94. If you could design your own playground, what would it look like and why?
95. Describe the most amazing birthday party you can imagine.
96. If you could be a mermaid for a day, what would you do in the ocean?
97. Share a fun memory of spending time with a friend.
98. If you had three wishes, what would you wish for and why?
99. Once upon a time, there was a dog who could talk. Finish the story.
100. Describe a silly monster and the funny things it does.
101. Write about a dream you’ve had that was really exciting or funny.
Final Thoughts: Writing Prompts for Second Graders
Second-grade writing prompts serve as great tools for nurturing creativity, building language skills, and encouraging self-expression.
By engaging with these 2nd-grade prompts, students will improve their writing abilities and develop communication skills that will serve them well throughout their lives.