Check out this list of second grade writing prompts that provide students with plenty of creative and fun ideas to write about.
These second grade writing prompts stretch the imagination, develop writing skills, and motivate kids to express themselves.
Second Grade Writing Prompts
1. Describe your favorite food. Why do you love it so much, and who makes it best?
2. Share the characteristics of a person who you want to be like when you grow up. Why did you choose this person?
3. Go for a nature walk and tell about four things – one thing you saw, one thing you smelled, one thing you heard, and one thing you touched.
4. Imagine that there is a monster in your bedroom closet! What does it look like in the dark? Does it make any weird noises? How did it get there?
5. Retell a story about one of your family’s special holiday traditions.
6. What is your favorite day of the week, and what makes it so special to you?
7. Tell about the coolest Halloween costume you ever wore. How did it make you feel to put it on? How did others react to it?
8. If you found a winning lottery ticket, would you keep it or turn it in? Why?
9. Describe some things, places, and people that bring you happiness
10. Which do you like better…the morning time or the night time? Why do you like this time of day more than the other?
11. Create a list of 5 second grade writing prompts that you think your teacher will like.
12. Talk about a special memory you have with a loved one. This could be your parent, grandparent, sibling, babysitter, or someone else.
13. What colors do you envision when thinking of each season – summer, fall, winter, and spring? What feelings and experiences are associated with the colors?
14. Where could I go to find your favorite animal? Tell me about this place.
15. What do you think humans will be eating for lunch one million years from now? Explain in detail.
16. If you could pick 2 superpowers to possess tomorrow, what would your superpowers be? Why would you pick those?
17. Name 3 different things that you love about yourself, and tell me why you love them.
18. What are you most excited to do when you leave the 2nd grade and go to the 3rd grade?
19. When I am 25 years old, I will be __________. I will live in __________, go to ___________, and live with _______.
20. How does it make you feel when you spend time with your best friend? What do you do together?
21. Who is your favorite actor or celebrity? Tell about some of the different movies this person stars in.
22. Retell about a time that you did something kind for someone. It could be in this classroom or outside of it.
23. Which do you like more, art class or math class? Why do you like one more than the other?
24. If you had to choose colors to represent the emotion of anger, which colors would you choose and why?
25. When you graduate from high school, what job or career would you like to have? Why do you think this profession would be a good fit for you?
26. Describe the most amazing birthday party you can imagine.
27. If you could wish for three things to happen this weekend, what three things would you wish for?
28. Once upon a time, there was a dog who could talk. He said __.
29. If you could take a vacation anywhere, where would you go? Why would you choose this place?
30. Imagine that you are a social media superstar. Describe a typical day in your life.
31. If you were the president of your country, what rules would you make so that all citizens live peacefully?
32. What would it be like to look out a spaceship window if you were an astronaut? Describe what you would see.
33. If you were a chef, what would be your favorite thing to cook? What makes this dish so tasty?
34. Write a letter or speech convincing classmates to sign-up for a new after-school club that you created. Be persuasive by providing clear reasons why they might like to join.
35. Tell about a time that you were looking for something that you couldn’t find.
36. What presents do you hope to receive for Christmas this year?
37. If you could get any present for your birthday, what would you want? Why makes this gift so desirable?
38. Share the experience of your first day of school this year. What moments stand out?
39. Tell about a time that you tried a new food. What did it taste like?
40. What time of night does your family eat dinner? Share the types of food that are usually on your table at dinner time.
41.When was the last time you were sick? What did you do to get better?
42. Tell three different things about the place where you were born.
43. If you had to choose colors to represent happiness, which colors would you choose and why?
44. Describe some animals that are furry, some animals that have claws, and some animals that have wings.
45. Tell about the people on your favorite TV show. What do they look like? What makes them so entertaining to watch?
46. Would you rather watch a funny movie, a sad movie, or a silly movie? Why?
47. If you could live to be 100 years old, what are some things that would be part of your daily routine? What is something you would do all day long?
48. What would you say to someone who doesn’t know how to tie her shoes? What should she do first?
49. I am most happy when I am with ____, doing ____, and talking about _____.
50. What would you do if there was no more TV, movies, video games, or toys left in the world? How would you keep yourself busy and entertained?
51. Once upon a time, there was a cat who could talk. It said _____.
52. Talk about a time that you saw snow, whether it was on TV, in a movie, or in real life. Describe the experience.
53. If there was a snow day tomorrow, what is the first thing you would do in the morning? What would you do for the rest of the day?
54. Write 10 words related to second grade. Then compose a poem that includes those words.
55. You wake up one morning with toes that have turned into icicles! Write about the adventures and challenges you experience that day.
56. Give detailed instructions for how to make your favorite meal.
57. The answer is “The answer is in your notebook.”. Write five different questions.
58. Describe how to solve a math word problem.
59. If you were a kitten, what gift requests would be on your Christmas list and why?
60. Try and guess how many stars there are in the sky. Why do you think there are that many? How did you make this estimate?
61. If a genie granted you 3 wishes, what would you choose to use them on?
62. Share your plans for the summer. What will you do? Where will you go? Who will you see?
63. Who is the nicest person you know, and what is one nice thing they’ve done for you?
64. I would welcome a new student to the classroom by telling them __________. I will show him/her kindness by doing the following things…
65. Write an article for the school newspaper offering tips to second graders about how to show kindness to others on a daily basis.
66. Explain how to make a failing grade on a math test.
67. S.C.H.O.O.L – Create an acrostic poem using the word school.
68. You come home one day to discover that your mom has transformed into a mummy for the next 24 hours. What happens next?
69. Write about a typical day from the perspective of a backpack.
70. What colors do you feel best represent sadness? Why do you think so?
71. If you could be a mermaid for a day, what would you do in the ocean?
72. Tell about a time that you slipped and fell. How did it make you feel when it happened?
73. Explain your favorite sport to someone who doesn’t know how to play.
74. Sketch a new invention. Then write one or two paragraphs describing your unique creation.
75. Using all five senses, describe in detail a raindrop.
76. Draft a new chapter for your favorite book. Which characters would be there, and what are they doing?
77. How old were you when you lost your first tooth? Retell how it fell out.
78. Tell a story about a time you got lost. How did you get back to a safe location?
80. If you could eat anything in the world for dinner tonight, what would you ask for? Why?
81. Who is the smartest person you know? What is their job? Why do you consider him or her to be the most intelligent?
82. If you could only pick one to eat for the rest of your life, which would you pick – breakfast or dessert – and why?
83. Tell about 4 things inside your desk – one thing you can see, one thing you can hear, one thing you can smell, and one thing you can touch.
84. Write the 3 best things about being in second grade. Include details.
85. Share one nice thing about each person who lives with you. (This includes your pets!)
86. Create a story that centers around these words: garden, vegetables, snake, neighbor
If you enjoyed these second grade writing prompts, you’ll also enjoy…collection of writing prompts for kids