If you’re searching for report card comments for writing, you’ve come to the right place.
Writing is a life-long skill that students will use for the rest of their days.
That’s why it’s important that parents know how well their child is performing in writing and what steps they can take in order to help their child improve.
Here you will find meaningful report card comments for writing skills that help teachers communicate areas of strength and areas of weakness.
Additionally, these report card comments for writing save time and frustration.
So utilize these report card comments for writing to work smarter during report card writing time.
See also…language report card comments.
Report Card Comments for Writing Skills
The following report card comments for writing include remarks for handwriting, the writing process, conventions, spelling, writing habits, and next steps.
Report Card Comments for Writing Skills (General)
- _____ continues to make good progress in. . . (insert targeted writing area).
- During the writing mini lesson, _____ contributes lots of ideas.
- _____ performs below grade level in (insert specific writing skill or strategy).
- _____ is making minimal process in (insert specific writing skill/strategy).
- … struggles to apply (name specific writing skill/strategy) during writer’s workshop.
- … enjoys writing.
- … has blossomed as a writer!
- _____ has a hard time editing written work using a checklist.
- _____ often speeds to complete writing assignment without proper revising and editing.
- _____ demonstrates difficulty revising writing pieces even using a checklist.
- Even with accommodations and/or modifications, _____struggles with (insert any writing skill or strategy).
- _____ exhibits minimal confidence in his writing skills.
- _____ is a talented writer and gives a special touch to every piece she produces.
- Though conventions isn’t her strong suite at the moment, ______ is a creative writer who engages the reader throughout the writing piece.
- … has a hard time writing (typing) at least one good paragraph or page.
- ______ demonstrates difficulty applying new writing skills.
Report Card Comments for Writing Skills (Work Habits)
Use the following report card comments for writing to communicate about students’ behavior/conduct as it relates to writing assignments.
- _____ takes accountability for his work.
- Within a group environment, ______ takes feedback positively and gives suggestions respectfully.
- … able to point out individual writing strengths and weaknesses during conferencing time with teacher.
- … reviews work thoroughly before submitting.
- … puts a lot of effort into creating a good piece of writing.
- _____ does not ask for help when he or she does not understand a concept.
- _____ has a hard time writing independently and needs constant supervision in order to finish a writing piece.
- _____ seldomly uses anchor charts to assist with learning.
Report Card Comments for Writing Skills (Conventions)
Utilize the following report card comments for grammar skills to communicate how well students apply grammar rules.
- _____ applies writing conventions easily and with high proficiency.
- _____ demonstrates an expansive vocabulary.
- _____ regularly uses standard grammar in most or all writing tasks.
- _____ shows a limited vocabulary in his writing.
- _____ needs improvement in using punctuation marks.
- _____ substitutes stronger verbs and adjectives for “boring” ones.
- …. exhibits good use of grammar and mechanics.
- … struggles to apply (name specific writing skill) during writer’s workshop.
- … edits work independently and with a peer.
- … needs reinforcement in using (insert any grammar rule).
- … doesn’t have a good grasp of when to use capital letters.
- A significant number of spelling and/or grammatical errors make reading the writing difficult.
- … takes risks by using new vocabulary words.
- _____ frequently misspells grade-level high frequency words and/or sight words.
- _____ would greatly benefit from using a thesaurus to assist in using stronger verbs and adjectives within her writing.
- _____ lacks a clear understanding of how to apply grammar and/or punctuation rules appropriately.
- _____ is successful with isolated grammar exercises but struggles to apply those concepts when producing authentic pieces of text.
- _____ demonstrates strong command of the conventions of standard English regarding capitalization, punctuation, and spelling.
- Though _____ makes excellent marks on his spelling tests, he seldomly spells those same words correctly within his writing pieces.
- Frequent punctuation omissions in ________ writing cause the reader to have a hard time understanding the message.
Report Card Comments for Writing Skills (Writing Process)
Utilize the following report card comments for writing to communicate how well students apply the writing process and the six traits of writing.
- ________ is able to organize her thoughts clearly with/without the use of graphic organizers.
- ______ expresses himself well through words.
- ______ ideas flow smoothly from one thought to the next.
- …. voice within writing piece is unclear or confusing.
- … writing pieces are well-organized with clear details.
- … struggles to apply (name specific writing skill/strategy) during Writer’s Workshop.
- … brainstorms a decent bank of ideas before drafting.
- … appropriately uses a writing checklist to review work.
- … accepts and attempts to apply feedback provided by the teacher and/or peers.
- … follows the writing process when completing a piece of major writing.
- … revises work independently and with a peer.
- … begins writing piece with a strong lead (beginning).
- … ends writing piece with a strong ending (conclusion).
- … writing has a clear beginning, middle, and end.
- … paper lacks supporting details that help the reader to visualize.
- … includes lots of sentences that “show” and not only “tell.”
- … transitions from one idea or paragraph to the next using a variety of transition words.
- … does not use transition words appropriately.
- … uses pre-writing strategies to guide the writing process.
- … purpose for writing and for what audience are clear.
- … understands that different writing genres serve different purposes.
- … does a great job of using figurative language to make writing more interesting and colorful.
- ______ written pieces lack clear and vivid details that help the reader understand and visualize the main idea.
- _____ writing frequently lacks a clear idea or main message.
- _____ ideas are hardly ever fully developed.
- _____ has a hard time using a variety of sentence structures in his/her writing.
- _____ sentences very often lack semantics making them difficult to comprehend.
- _____ writing pieces lack an interesting lead that grabs the reader’s attention.
- A clear conclusion is frequently missing from _____ writing pieces.
Report Card Comments for Writing Skills (Handwriting)
- _____ takes a lot of pride in her handwriting; it’s always neat!
- _____ always showcases good penmanship on assignments.
- _____ excellent fine motor skills contributes to his neat handwriting.
- _____ handwriting is always neat and legible.
- … handwriting makes reading the writing piece difficult.
- On a regular basis, _____ handwriting is illegible.
- _____ rarely forms letters legibly.
- Poor fine motor skills hinders writing performance for _____.
- _____ needs to devote more time to learning cursive writing strokes.
- Even though _____ handwriting is frequently disorganized, his work is legible and beautiful when he takes his time.
- _____ has a frequent habit of over-erasing his marks causing his writing to become illegible.
- _____ frequently reverses the letters _____ and ______.
- I am very concerned about ______ handwriting as it causes his grades in other subject areas to lower because the writing is very hard-to-read, even with repeated attempts to correct.
- _____ has trouble forming the letters _____.
- Very often, _____ assignments are not neat.
- _____ needs to continuously practice cursive handwriting strokes.
- _____ has beautiful penmanship, in print and cursive.
- Though _____ handwriting is legible, with a bit more focus on strokes, it could be neater.
- _____ work is always neat and clean.
- An abundance of erasure marks makes _____ writing hard to read.
- _____ is capable of writing well but refuses to write his assignments neatly.
Report Card Comments for Writing Skills (Next Steps)
Utilize the following report card comments for writing to share with parents how they can help their child improve in needed writing areas.
Also use teacher comments for students’ writing to provide feedback that help learners grow as writers.
- The following modifications/accommodations in the area of writing will be helpful to implement:
- _____ will continue to work within small groups and one-on-one with the teacher at least two times a week.
- I suggest _____ participates in after-school tutoring x number of times per week.
- It would be helpful to review at home with _____ …
- _____ would benefit from…
- I strongly encourage _____ to (insert any action that will help to improve situation + how often) in order to improve (insert issue).
- During the summer, continue to… (insert any action that will help to improve situation + how often) in order to improve (insert issue).
- I recommend….
- _____ needs more opportunities to…
- In order to increase proficiency in using strong verbs, _____ requires assistance using a thesaurus and/or dictionary.
- Let’s schedule a follow-up meeting/conference for the date of …. to discuss…
- Let’s schedule a conference/meeting soon in order to discuss how to help… succeed in meeting the learning objectives.
- Please continue to reinforce skills at home.
- Help and encouragement from us keeps him motivated.
- The extra support ______ receives is evident. Let’s keep up the great work!
- Any extra support helps _____ improve in her academic endeavors.
- Continue to reinforce writing strategies at home.
- I suggest that_____ practice Daily Oral Language activities in order to improve (insert a writing skill).
- Practice writing authentic texts with your child in English or Spanish regularly. (applies to bilingual/dual language students).
Wrapping Up: Report Card Comments for Writing Skills
Completing report card comments for writing skills need not be a chore.
Use these quality writing comments, which cover all areas of writing, to get the job done fast and efficiently.
If you found these report card comments for writing helpful, you might like … 50 quick report card comments.