It’s report card time, and you’re seeking report card comments for first grade students.
Sitting down to a blank screen can be overwhelming, so save yourself the frustration by using these helpful copy and paste report card comments for first grade.
Here you will find report card comments for students in first grade that cover the subjects of math, reading, writing, science, social studies, and behavior.
These report card comments for first grade students will save you time.
Math Report Card Comments for First Grade
- ______ is having trouble with math, particularly with (insert specific math skill). He/she would greatly benefit from after-school tutoring.
- ______ knows how to strategically solve math word problems step-by-by step.
- ______ is doing well in math class. She shows a firm understanding of the topics covered and is capable of handling problems above her current level.
- ______ struggles with higher-level math concepts because his mathematical foundation is not as strong as it should be by this grade level.
- ______ puts forth much effort in math class. However, she could still improve in (insert specific math skill or concept).
- ______ demonstrates a strong understanding of math. The skills that he possesses are well in line with grade-level expectations.
- ______ still needs extra support with (insert math skill).
- ______ would benefit from more time dedicated to mastering basic addition and subtraction facts.
- ______ grasps math concepts rather quickly and is able to apply them accurately.
- ______ has difficulty with (insert math skill). This should improve with additional practice and effort.
Reading Report Card Comments for First Grade
Literacy report card comments for first grade include a variety of skills such as phonics, comprehension, and fluency.
- ______ demonstrates strong reading skills and is more than capable of handling basic comprehension assessments.
- ______ has trouble reading at his/her current grade level.
- With prompting, ______ consistently uses text features to assist comprehension.
- Having access to reading material outside of school and the opportunity to read for pleasure rather than for work would greatly benefit ______.
- ______ demonstrates a clear ability to read books at the current grade level independently.
- ______ accurately infers information from the book using picture and word clues.
- ______ struggles to read at his current grade level. He has particular trouble recounting information that he has just read.
- ______ demonstrates good vocal reading skills and can read complete sentences plus paragraphs aloud.
- ______ struggles to state the main idea of a selection.
- ______ consistently demonstrates strong comprehension skills. He/she is capable of fully recalling and describing written text.
- ______’s reading fluency and accuracy are very good.
- ______ has a firm grasp of comprehension. He is fully capable of answering questions based on a subject he has read.
- ______ has no issue recounting and summarizing key ideas.
- ______ reads with good fluency but has a hard time recalling what he just read.
- ______ struggles a lot when reading aloud. I recommend that she read aloud at home to help remedy this issue.
- ______ is able to accurately respond to a variety of reader response questions before, during, and after reading.
Writing Report Card Comments for First Grade
First grade report card comments for writing block include the areas of spelling, punctuation, handwriting, and grammar, to name a few.
- ______ struggles with basic grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
- ______ consistently follows the steps of the writing process in order to produce a piece of writing.
- ______ demonstrates a strong understanding of basic grammar and punctuation. She knows how to correctly use capital letters as well as form complete sentences.
- ______ has excellent penmanship.
- I have noticed that ______ has continued difficulty with spelling, grammar, and sentence structure despite consistent small group plus one-on-one support. Let’s meet sometime next week to discuss next steps for addressing the issue.
- ______ is progressing well with (insert any writing skill).
- ______ struggles to develop and express writing ideas after brainstorming.
- ______ has progressed greatly since the start of the year. He/she has applied him/herself, and the results speak for themselves.
- ______ expresses clear ideas but has difficulty developing those ideas using details.
Science Report Card Comments for First Grade
- ______ understands the fundamentals of science.
- ______ struggles during science class. However, she remains an active participant and seems eager to learn more.
- ______ is able to accurately retell the key steps of a science experiment.
- ______ grasps science concepts easily.
- ______ has developed the fundamental skills taught during science.
- ______ has an affinity for science. He loves to explore new concepts and asks questions that prompt him to do further research.
- ______ can now form her own hypotheses and draw conclusions based upon data collected.
- ______ recognizes the importance of science and the role it plays in the world.
- ______ has demonstrated a clear understanding of the basic elements of science.
- ______ shows a deep love for science.
Social Studies Report Card Comments for First Grade
- ______ is capable of reading and analyzing sources. He demonstrates a clear understanding of how to think critically and evaluate information.
- ______ actively participates in the learning of new material.
- ______ has a firm grasp of the various aspects of social studies. She is capable of articulating her thoughts and making informed opinions based on the reading material.
- ______ grasps social studies concepts with ease.
- ______ finds social studies difficult. He struggles to form a cohesive thought when discussing certain topics in class.
Behavior Report Card Comments for First Grade
When drafting behavior/conduct report card comments for first grade, be sure to begin and end with a positive comment. Make needs improvement comments solution-focused.
- ______ consistently shows respect for others.
- ______ has a hard time staying focused on one task for even short periods of time. Therefore, I am implementing…
- ______ puts forth great effort when completing work assignments.
- ______ disrupts the class constantly. I suggest that…
- ______ continues to underperform in class. The unwillingness to apply himself is holding him back from reaching his goals.
- ______ needs to improve his/her ability to work as part of a group.
- ______ continues to be an active part of the classroom dynamic. He is always eager to participate during class.
- ______ asks the teacher for help when understanding breaks down.
- ______ struggles to pay attention during class which causes him to miss important information.
- ______ works effectively during team exercises and demonstrates empathy towards others.
- ______ is capable of working independently.
- ______ shows difficulty completing work if not frequently prompted by the teacher.
- ______ is a diligent student who is always responsive.
- ______ consistently demonstrates a willingness to learn and actively engages in the topics discussed.
- ______ follows instructions the first time they are given.
See more positive comments for students work.
meaningful report card comments
report card comments for online learning