Encourage a positive mindset among your recent hires with these quotes for new teachers.
Send these uplifting messages as notes of appreciation, incorporate into professional development, or simply post as decor in the teacher’s lounge.
Related: For more kind educator messages, see our list of funny and inspirational quotes for new and seasoned teachers.
Quotes for New Teachers
- “The future of the world is in my classroom today.” – Ivan Welton Fitzwater
- “A key to growing as an educator is to keep company mainly with teachers who uplift you, whose presence inspires you, and whose dedication drives you.” – Robert John Meehan
- “Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.” – Nelson Mandela
- “Too often we give children answers to remember rather than problems to solve.” – Roger Lewin
- “One child, one teacher, one pen and one book can change the world.” – Malala Yousafzai
- “The aim of education should be to teach us rather how to think, than what to think – rather to improve our minds, so as to enable us to think for ourselves, than to load the memory with thoughts of other men.” – Bill Beattie
- “You can teach a student a lesson for a day; but if you can teach him to learn by creating curiosity, he will continue the learning process as long as he lives.” – Clay P. Bedford
- “Intelligence plus character—that is the true goal of education.” – Martin Luther King, Jr.
- “A teacher affects eternity; he can never tell where his influence stops.” – Henry B. Adams
- “If you are planning for a year, sow rice; if you are planning for a decade, plant trees; if you are planning for a lifetime, educate people.” – Chinese proverb
- “What makes a child gifted and talented may not always be good grades in school, but a different way of looking at the world and learning.” – Chuck Grassley
- “All children start their school careers with sparkling imaginations, fertile minds, and a willingness to take risks with what they think.” – Ken Robinson
- “Children are apt to live up to what you believe of them.” – Lady Bird Johnson
- “Good teaching is more a giving of right questions than a giving of right answers.” – Josef Albers
- “It’s okay to have bad days, to be less than perfect, to say no, to be yourself.”
- “Education is the key to success in life, and teachers make a lasting impact in the lives of their students.” – Solomon Ortiz
- “Education’s purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one.” – Malcolm Forbes
- “The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires.” – William Arthur Ward
- “Children want the same things we want. To laugh, to be challenged, to be entertained, and delighted.” – Dr. Seuss
- “If kids come to us from strong, healthy, functioning families, it makes our job easier. If they do not come to us from strong, healthy, functioning families, it makes our job more important.” – Barbara Colorose
- “If a child can’t learn the way we teach, maybe we should teach the way they learn.” – Ignacio Estrada
- “Education is our passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to the people who prepare for it today.” – Malcolm X
- “Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.” – William Butler Yeats
- “The best teachers are those who show you where to look but don’t tell you what to see.”
- “The fact that you worry about being a good teacher means that you already are one.” – Jodi Picoult
- “In an effective classroom, students should not only know what they are doing, they should also know why and how.” – Harry Wong
- “A well-educated mind will always have more questions than answers.” – Helen Keller
- “Sometimes the greatest PD is the teacher down the hall.” – Brian Aspinall
- “Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all.” – Aristotle
- “You are responsible not only by what you say but also by what you don’t say.” – Martin Luther
- “Be an encourager. The world has enough critics already.”
- “All students can learn and succeed, but not in the same way and not in the same day.” – William G. Spady
- “Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” – Benjamin Franklin
- “I am not a teacher but an awakener.” – Robert Frost
- “They may forget what you said, but they will not forget how you made them feel.” – Carl Buechner
- “Everyone who remembers his own education remembers teachers, not methods and techniques. The teacher is the heart of the educational system.” – Sidney Hook
- “Children must be taught how to think, not what to think.” – Margaret Mead
These inspirational quotes for new teachers will spark positivity and enthusiasm among staff. So spread them around generously!
>>> The new school year can be a stressful time. So start strong with the help of our back-to-school resources and ideas!