Celebrate pumpkin pie, pumpkin spice, pumpkin patches, and all things pumpkin-themed using these fun and creative pumpkin writing prompts for students.
In addition to sparking creativity, these pumpkin writing prompts instill a love for writing and sharpen writing skills.
Even your reluctant writers will enjoy responding to these prompts!
So when teaching your pumpkin unit or during your writer’s workshop lessons, include a handful of these free writing prompts about pumpkins.
Pumpkin Writing Prompts
1. Write a story that takes place in a pumpkin patch.
2. Explain how to write a really good pumpkin story.
3. Convince your parents to take you to the pumpkin patch next weekend.
4. You just finished carving your jack-o-lantern. Suddenly, the pumpkin starts to speak! Finish the story.
5. Compare and contrast a pumpkin and a watermelon.
6. Write an acrostic poem using the word pumpkin.
7. Using all five senses, describe a pumpkin.
8. Explain, step-by-step, how to carve a jack-o-lantern.
9. Imagine that your new restaurant only sells dishes with pumpkin ingredients. Describe what’s on your menu.
10. Create a story about a miniature pumpkin that is your good luck charm.
11. Write a poem about a pumpkin pie.
12. If a pumpkin were an emoji symbol, which emotion would it represent and why?
13. Sketch a pumpkin. Then write two paragraphs describing it.
14. Create an outdoor game that involves pumpkins.
16. The newspaper headline reads, “Nine Pumpkins Stolen from Pumpkin Patch Overnight!”. Write the news story.
17. Write two, grade-appropriate math word problems that involve pumpkins.
18. Describe a fun pumpkin arts and crafts activity that your class might enjoy doing.
19. Pretend that you have a pet pumpkin. Tell how to care for it.
20. Share five facts and five opinions about pumpkins.
21. Create any story you like about pumpkins.
22. Write a story about someone who dresses as a pumpkin for Halloween.
23. Brainstorm a list of ten words related to pumpkins. Now write a story that includes these words.
24. Explain how to make pumpkin pie.
25. Summarize a good pumpkin-themed book you read or heard recently.
26. As I was walking through the pumpkin patch, I saw the most interesting-looking pumpkin ever… Finish the story.
27. Write a story about a kid who turns into a pumpkin every day at midnight.
28. Oh no! You wake up one morning with a jack-o-lantern head! Tell about your day.
29. Compose a short story about magic pumpkin seeds.
30. Write a persuasive sales pitch that will convince potential customers to buy your pumpkin product.
31. Create a recipe that includes pumpkin. Share all the steps.
32. Draft a fictional biography about a pumpkin.
33. Make up a fun indoor recess game that involves pumpkins.
34. Write a recommendation for The Pumpkin Book.
35. Detail how to make a one-of-a-kind pumpkin soup.
36. Devise a strategy for winning first place of a classroom door-decorating contest with a pumpkin theme.
37. Describe all the benefits of practicing your writing using pumpkin writing prompts.
38. Write a diary entry from the perspective of a pumpkin in a supermarket.
39. Create a funny story about a slice of pumpkin pie and a can of whipped cream that escape a Thanksgiving dinner to go on a wild adventure.
40. Write a story about a pumpkin seed that doesn’t want to grow up.
41. Come up with a cool recipe that has pumpkin spice as one of the ingredients.
Now you have a ready-supply of pumpkin writing prompts to use with students during writer’s workshop, as independent writing, as homework, or for bell work.