Empower fifth graders to embrace their opinions, preferences, and beliefs using these exciting opinion writing prompts for 5th grade students.
In the process, these opinion writing prompts for 5th grade will activate critical thinking and sharpen writing skills.
Additionally, these fifth grade opinion writing prompts help students to challenge their beliefs, analyze ideas, and possess a growth mindset.
So pencil into your writer’s workshop plans this week a few of these opinion writing prompts for 5th grade students.
Opinion Writing Prompts for 5th Grade Students
Nurture students in sharing their thinking using these opinion writing prompts for 5th grade.
1. In your opinion, should distance learning be the primary way to learn with in-person school only an option?
2. Do you think it’s important for individuals to learn a second language? Why or why not?
3. Pretend that the school has to cut one program. Should it keep art or music class? Share your opinion.
4. In your opinion, what’s the best board game? What makes you think so?
5. What is your opinion about school extending into the summer? For or against? Share your opinion.
6. Are school uniforms beneficial to student learning? Share your thoughts.
7. In your opinion, is it better to be too hot or too cold? Explain your thinking.
8. What place, in your opinion, is the best vacation destination to visit? What makes you think so?
9. If the government decided to ban all sports with the exception of one, which sport should remain and why?
10. What is your opinion about traditional books versus audiobooks? Which is better for learning?
11. In your opinion, should virtual learning be offered to all students from now on? Or do you believe that every student should be learning in a classroom at school. Why?
12. Do you prefer to sit-in on parent-teacher conferences? Share your opinion.
13. Is it wise to mandate all fifth graders to write their assignments in cursive? Why or why not?
14. Should standardized tests be required in schools? Why or why not?
15. Which do you prefer: tap or bottled water? Explain why one is the better choice.
16. Should shoppers be required to bring their own grocery bags?
17. Is it better to be really smart or very kind? Explain your opinion.
18. How do you feel about families growing and raising their own food? What’s your opinion about doing this?
19. Are there really any good reasons to give homework every day? Share your opinion.
20. In your opinion, should the school day be shorter? Why or why not?
21. Do you believe that fifth graders are responsible enough to use cell phones during class time? Why or why not?
22. What are your thoughts on smoking? Should it be illegal? Why or why not?
23. Should schools have an A, B, C, D, or F grading system or simply Pass/Fail? Share your thoughts.
24. Do you feel that everyone should donate money to a charity at least once a year? Why or why not?
25. What makes a good friend?
26. In your opinion, should sports be segregated by gender? Why or why not?
27. What are the pros and cons of being a young child versus a teenager?
28. Should children be allowed to watch scary or violent movies? Why or why not?
29. Which school subject, in your opinion, will be most useful to you when you grow up? Why?
30. In your opinion, what is the biggest challenge of being a boy or a girl?
31. Which Disney movie is the most entertaining? Why do you think so?
32. Who has the harder job: your teacher or the principal? Why do you think this?
33. Which specials’ class do you prefer and why?
34. What is one gift that you believe anybody would be happy to receive?
35. Should homework be given to students who are performing exceptionally well in fifth grade? Why or why not?
36. Is it possible that one’s opinion can change over time? If so, how do opinions change?
37. In your opinion, is college a necessary next step after graduating from high school?
38. What type of pets are best for children who are allergic to fur?
39. Do you feel that homework actually helps you learn more or is it just another frustrating task?
40. How does responding to opinion writing prompts for 5th grade improve writing skills?
41. Is family more important than friendships? Why or why not?
42. What role do you think robots will play in the future?
43. What is one technological advancement that you think the world would be better without and why?
44. In your opinion, what are 10 places in the world that you think everyone should visit? Why do you choose these places?
45. Is it fair to keep animals caged in zoos? Why do you feel the way you do?
46. What is the most interesting book you have ever read, and what made it so?
47. Do you think owners should be able to bring their pets to restaurants? Why or why not?
48. Convince the principal to give your class first place in a holiday door-decorating contest.
49. Do you prefer the book or movie version of a story? Why?
50. Should individuals stay away from people who are negative all the time? Why or why not?
51. Is it always necessary to tell someone the truth even if you know doing so will hurt the person’s feelings? Explain your thinking.
52. Would you rather be the star athlete or the student with the highest grades? Explain.
53. What are some things about your school that need to change?
54. If your school was going to invite a famous person to give a presentation to students, who should be invited and why?
55. What makes your favorite sports team better than others?
56. In your opinion, should sports in schools have winners and losers, or should every student receive a participation award?
57. Should recess be extended on Fridays? Why or why not?
58. What type of activities would make classroom lessons more engaging?
59. Should the school day be shorter? Why or why not?
60. Should households be required to recycle? Why or why not?
61. In your opinion, what’s the best way to study for a test?
Final Thoughts: Opinion Writing Prompts for 5th Grade
Now you have a quality collection of opinion writing prompts for 5th grade to use for various writing activities.