Examine third graders’ preferences and beliefs using these high-interest opinion writing prompts for 3rd grade students.
These third grade opinion writing prompts promote critical thinking, highlight how students feel regarding certain topics, plus encourage learners to develop writing skills.
So whether you’re preparing for state testing or just want to assess students’ writing growth, schedule into your writer’s workshop plans this week a few of these opinion writing prompts for 3rd grade.
Opinion Writing Prompts for 3rd Grade Students
1. In your opinion, what does it mean to be a great friend?
2. What, in your opinion, is the best thing about being in your current grade level and why?
3. Would you rather be an adult or a baby? Explain.
4. Should homework be required for learners who are making good grades? Why or why not?
5. Should birthday parties be held during school hours? Why or why not?
6. Do you think it’s a good idea for children to have cell phones at school? Why or why not?
7. If you see someone being bullied, should you step in and help? Why or why not?
8. What is your opinion about schools extending the amount of playtime at recess?
9. Which subject is the most exciting to learn? Why do you think so?
10. What is the most unique animal in the world that you can think of? What makes it so interesting?
11. Would a snake or a hamster make the better pet? Why?
12. Does homework, in your opinion, really impact how much a child learns? Explain.
13. Do you feel that students should be encouraged to brush their teeth right after lunch? Why?
14. Convince your mom to let you have dessert after dinner tonight.
15. Should candy or gum be allowed in the classroom? Why or why not?
16. If you had a choice to relax in the mountains or on a beach, which would you choose and why?
17. Imagine that you are an employee at your school (e.g. teacher, custodian, counselor, principal. cafeteria worker, aide, secretary, nurse). Which one of these jobs would you prefer to have? Why?
18. Should the class have a classroom pet? If so, what kind of pet should you have? Why?
19. Is it better to have siblings or be an only child? Explain.
20. In your opinion, should every child learn to play a musical instrument? Why or why not?
21. Should all students be required to stand and state the Pledge of Allegiance? Why or why not?
22. Where is the best place to have a third grader’s birthday party? Why?
23. Do you feel that remote learning should be an option for third graders who work better independently? What are the pros and cons of virtual learning?
24. Should third graders be required to learn a second language? Why or why not?
25. In your opinion, are cartoons just for kids, or do adults enjoy them just as much? Explain your thinking.
26. What, in your opinion, are the best foods to eat when sick?
27. Do you think it is better to have a lot of money and be sick all the time or be perfectly healthy but broke?
28. In your opinion, should third graders be allowed to write with a pen in math?
29. What, in your opinion, makes cafeteria food so appetizing or disgusting?
30. Do you prefer to wear a school uniform every day instead of your normal wear? Why or why not?
31. In your opinion, how do school uniforms benefit learning?
32. What theme park in your city or country do you think every 3rd grader should visit at least once? Why do you recommend it?
33. Do you believe that it is better to be too hot or too cold? Explain your thinking.
34. What do you think it means to be a good friend?
35. Do you prefer the celebrations of Halloween or Easter? Share your opinion.
36. Explain why every third grader should have a classroom helper job.
37. In your opinion, what is the best travel destination for kids your age? What makes this place so great?
38. Do you feel that recess should be extended so that kids get more exercise? Why or why not?
39. How has your opinion changed about something compared to one year ago?
40. What is your favorite food? Have you ever tried a new type of food and then changed your opinion? Explain.
41. What, in your opinion, is the best pet for someone who is allergic to fur?
42. Would you rather live in a cave or on a mountain? Why?
43. Should third graders be limited in the amount of time they spend playing video games? Why or why not?
44. What do you believe is the reason why many students don’t reach their academic goals each year?
45. Do you prefer tetherball or hide-and-seek as an outdoor game? Why?
46. What types of careers are good for people that are shy? Why do you think these are good choices?
47. Is it better to walk to school, ride the bus, or get driven there by a parent? Why?
48. Do you think it is a good idea to apologize to someone you have hurt? Why or why not?
49. In your opinion, should we always forgive others who have hurt us? Why or why not?
50. From your point of view, should junk food be sold at school at any time? Why or why not?
51. How does responding to opinion writing prompts for 3rd grade improve writing skills?
Final Thoughts: Opinion Writing Prompts for 3rd Grade
Now you have a quality collection of opinion writing prompts for 3rd grade that encourages students to move their pens/pencils.