Add these fun ocean writing prompts to your science unit.
These writing prompts for kids about the ocean and the underwater world will stretch imaginations, increase knowledge about what’s under the sea, and improve writing skills.
Ocean Writing Prompts for Kids
- Draw a picture of a submarine. Then write a few sentences that describe it.
- A shark looks like…
- Draw and write about a seahorse.
- One time when I was at the ocean…
- The three best things about the ocean…
- Draw and write about a sea turtle.
- The ocean is…
- Draw and write about a starfish.
1st and 2nd Grade
- Sketch a picture of what it looks like under the sea. Now write a detailed paragraph or two about your drawing.
- You’re a reporter and have an opportunity to interview a mermaid. Make a list of questions you’ll ask along with her responses.
- Compare and contrast an ocean and a river.
- Imagine that you have a friend that has never been in the ocean. Using the five senses (smell, touch, sight, taste, hear), describe everything he or she would experience while in the ocean.
- Write about how the earth would be with no oceans.
- You discover a hidden cave in the depths of the ocean as you’re scuba diving. Share what you find inside.
- As you are swimming in the deep parts of the ocean, you notice a treasure chest nearby. Complete the story.
- Imagine you’re floating in the middle of the ocean. Using your 5 senses and the 5 Ws (Who, What, When, Where, Why), describe your experience at sea.
- Write a story about a day in the life of a shark.
- You’re sitting on the beach relaxing. Using your five senses plus the 5Ws + H (Who, What, When, Where, Why, How) describe what you see.
- Compare and contrast any two sea animals.
- Wild Card: Create any story or piece of writing you’d like about the underwater world. Your writing piece can be a comedy, mystery, fantasy, tall tale, poem, comic, etc.
Ocean Writing Prompts for 3rd, 4th, and 5th Grade
- Write about a memorable moment that you experienced while visiting the ocean. Using your five senses, describe what you saw, heard, smelled, touched, and tasted.
- Draft an article for the school newspaper giving tips on how to care for the ocean.
- Create a story that involves you and your best friend or sibling exploring the ocean in a submarine.
- Compare and contrast a jellyfish and a starfish. Write at least two paragraphs, providing specific details about their characteristics.
- Write a story centered around these words: waves, tsunami, fish, beach, ocean
- After doing a bit of research (use this kid-friendly research site), write five to eight facts that you learned about the ocean.
- You discover that you can breathe underwater for 24 hours. In at least 2 paragraphs, share what types of adventures you’ll experience.
- Write a story about a ruler of the underwater world.
- Imagine that you live in an underwater cave. Describe your surroundings and also a typical day in the ocean for you.
- Pretend that you are a citizen of AquaFresh, an underwater world. Describe this magical place.
- Characters: mermaid, Setting: underwater cave, Plot/Problem: ?, Solution: ? You’ve been provided the setting and characters. Complete the story, providing a problem along with the solution.
- Describe safety tips children and adults should follow when swimming in the ocean.
- As you’re swimming in the ocean, you meet a mermaid. She tells you about her life underwater. In two to three paragraphs, retell her daily life using clear details.
- Write 10 words related to the ocean. Then compose a poem including these words.
Ocean Animal Writing Prompts
- A school of fish lives in the ocean near a local beach town. In detail, describe a day in their life. Additionally, write about any challenges they may face.
- Imagine that you are a sea creature. Write a story that involves you getting lost in the coral reefs.
- Sketch a picture of your favorite ocean animal. Write a few words to describe it.
- Draft a descriptive paragraph about your favorite ocean animal.
- You’re a scientist that has just discovered a new sea animal. Using the 5Ws + H, describe it.
- Create a story about a dolphin dancing in the moonlight with his sea creature friends.
- You arrive home to find an octopus sleeping in your bed. Write a story about what happens next.
- Sketch any ocean animal that you like. Then write at least 2 paragraphs describing your drawing.
- A friendly octopus dwells in the ocean near your local beach town, and he’s itching for adventure. Describe a day in the life of this octopus. Include other animals he may meet and what they do together.
If you liked these ocean writing prompts, see also … daily journal writing prompts for kids