When drafting remarks for students who have areas of needs improvement, be sure to include next steps report card comments.
Here you will find a helpful collection of action-based next steps report card comments that provide specific solutions to help students succeed.
Whether you teach elementary, middle, or high school, you’re sure to find good next steps report card comments to fit your needs.
The following next steps report card comments are divided into the following categories:
- Social Studies
- Learning skills
Next Steps Report Card Comments Math
- Practicing more at home with (insert math skill or strategy) will help _____ greatly.
- When appropriate, allow the use of a calculator to solve math facts.
- Provide spoken instructions in addition to written ones.
- In order to prevent “summer slide”, I suggest that _____ regularly review (insert needs improvement for student).
- Ask _____ to restate information in order to check for understanding.
- At least twice per week, I’ll continue one-on-one or small group instruction support with ______, focusing on (insert targeted learning objective).
- Strategically seat ______ to maximize her learning.
- After-school math tutoring x number of times per week will be beneficial for _____.
- _____ struggles with (insert skill or strategy). We are working hard at school to improve this situation and appreciate your efforts in reinforcing these strategies at home.
- Please continue to practice basic multiplication facts at least 3 times per week during the summer break.
- May use calculator or spell checker to review work.
See more math report card comments.
Science Next Steps Report Card Comments
- In order to be prepared for the next grade level, _____ must work to improve…
- Will incorporate 5 to 10 second wait time before expecting oral response.
- Encourage the use of anchor charts to assist learning.
- To stay on top of _____’s progress, let’s schedule a follow-up meeting for…
- Will be allowed to review an outline preview of the lesson.
Next Steps Report Card Comments Social Studies
- Please continue to reinforce (insert any needed skill).
- Let’s incorporate more brain breaks to keep _____ focused.
- It would be helpful to review at home with ______ (insert needs improvement skill or strategy).
- _____ would benefit from…
- Will change seating arrangement to optimize learning.
Art Next Steps Report Card Comments
- Use positive reinforcement to maximize academic and behavioral objectives.
- Let’s continue to encourage _____ to develop her artistic abilities.
- Needs extended time needed to complete tests, projects, and/or assignments.
- Chunk long-term assignments and projects.
- Incorporate more visual cues for transitioning between activities.
- Let’s continue to remind _____ to come to art class prepared and ready to work.
Health Next Steps Report Card Comments
- _____ could definitely use extra help with…
- Next quarter, let’s try these accommodations and/or modifications for ______:
- I suggest having _____ continue studying…
- Chunk assignments and tasks into digestible pieces.
- _____ needs more opportunities to…
- Encourage ______ to continue reviewing at home (insert skill).
- Give a textbook for at-home use.
- Extend time required to complete assignments.
- Application of a few study skills will help _____ improve significantly.
Next Steps Report Card Comments Learning Skills
- Practice answering more higher-level thinking comprehension questions.
- Allow _____ to make choices in her learning.
- During the summer, ______ should continue to…
- Reinforce growth mindset with daily positive affirmations.
- Assist _____ in using a planner to organize assignments.
General Next Steps Report Card Comments
- Utilize a behavior chart daily or weekly.
- Continue weekly one-on-one or small group instruction support with a focus on (insert student targeted learning objective).
- Help ______ set up an agenda to organize assignments.
- Let’s have parents sign the homework agenda daily.
- _____ needs to read daily for at least 20 minutes.
Now you have a ready supply of next steps report card comments that save time and frustration.
Parents will be delighted to have clear steps to follow in order to help their child succeed.
If you found these next steps comments helpful, you may be interested in other meaningful report card comments.