Here you will find an assortment of narrative writing prompts for 3rd grade.
Not only do these third grade narrative writing prompts reduce writer’s block, they encourage students to apply new skills and reflect upon personal experiences.
Writer’s workshop just became a bit more exciting.
So include in your lessons this week a handful of these delightful narrative writing prompts for 3rd grade.
Narrative Writing Prompts for 3rd Grade
Even reluctant writers enjoy responding to these fun narrative writing prompts for 3rd grade.
1. Write about your first time visiting another state or country. How was the location different and similar to where you live?
2. Tell a story about a time when you helped someone in need.
3. Write a story about the best activity at field day last year. What made this activity so great? Describe it.
4. Describe a memory about a fun Easter egg hunt in which you participated.
5. Tell the story about a strange thing that has ever happened to you.
6. Tell your favorite things to do at the beach.
7. Write about a time when you had to apologize to someone.
8. Describe the person who has the most influence over your life. Explain why this person is so important in your life.
9. Tell about your favorite holiday memory.
10. Write about the most memorable field trip that you have ever taken.
11. Of all the things you own, which is the one you value most and why?
12. Share three to five S.M.A.R.T goals that you have for this school year. Then tell how you will accomplish them.
13. Write about a time when you lost a game.
14. Write about a fun fall activity that you did with your family.
15. Share information about a time when your parents surprised you with a special gift.
16. Write about a challenge that you have faced or are facing this school year. What steps are you taking to overcome this obstacle?
17. Describe the most joyous Thanksgiving celebration you’ve ever attended.
18. Suppose you invented a time machine. Write a story about the adventures you’d have with it.
19. What is breakfast time like in your house?
20. If you were teacher for the day, what fun activities would you do with the class?
21. Draft a story about yourself as the hero.
22. Retell a memory about doing a science experiment.
23. Write about the best birthday celebration you’ve every had.
24. If you could drive for one day, where would you go, with whom, and what would you do?
25. Tell about a reward you received.
26. If you could travel to the future or the past, which year would you travel to and why?
27. Share a scary moment that happened to you.
28. What is your favorite season of the year? What do you like to do during this time?
29. Tell about a time that you had a strange, funny, or scary encounter with an animal.
30. Tell your strategy for responding well to narrative writing prompts for 3rd grade.
31. Describe a time you stood up for yourself.
32. When has something been very hard for you but you kept trying?
33. Describe the most exciting vacation you ever took.
34. Tell about a memorable Christmas morning.
35. Share a bad hair day experience.
36. What are some things that you wish your teacher knew about you.
37. Summarize dinner time with your family.
38. Write about a fun field trip memory.
39. What’s your favorite memory from last school year?
40. Tell about a memorable Field Day event.
41. Write about a school event that was special to you.
42. Share a memory of when you were surprised with a new pet.
43. Tell about a time when you felt proud.
44. Describe your experience learning to ride a bike.
45. Share a funny memory with your family.
46. Share a timeline of your life.
47. Write about a time when you did a fun arts project.
48. If you had three wishes, what would you wish and why?
49. Write about a time when you gave a class presentation.
50. How do you spend snow days off from school?
51. Write about your experience being a new student.
Final Thoughts: Narrative Writing Prompts for 3rd Grade
Now you have a quality collection of third grade narrative writing prompts to use for various writing activities.