Fifth graders will enjoy sharing about their lives using these high-interest narrative writing prompts for 5th grade.
In addition to helping fifth graders express themselves, these creative prompts improve writing skills.
Add a few of these narrative writing prompts for 5th grade to your instruction this week.
Narrative Writing Prompts for 5th Grade
1. Discuss a moment when someone showed you an act of kindness that you were not expecting.
2. Write about a moment when your teacher returned an assignment and you received a grade lower than what you had expected.
3. Retell the events from the first day of school. How were you feeling? What activities did your class do? What was most memorable?
4. Write about a time when you were so shy that you could barely speak.
5. Retell the story of a time when you exhibited strong leadership skills. Include lots of details.
6. Write about a time when you attended or participated in a parade. Using the 5Ws, provide lots of interesting details.
7. Describe your favorite place in the entire world.
8. Write about the most amazing or most dreadful road trip that you took with your family or friends.
9. Tell the story of how you and your best friend met and became good friends.
10. Write a story about the most amazing summer vacation you ever experienced.
11. Share an exciting memory from visiting a theme or waterpark.
12. Tell about a time when you felt so calm, relaxed, and peaceful. Provide details such as …Who were you with? Where were you? What was going on around you? When did this take place?
13. Write about a time when you helped someone learn how to do something.
14. Describe the best birthday you have ever had.
15. Write about a time when you got into trouble for disrespecting a family member or teacher.
16. Retell the main events of the most special day of your life.
17. Write a story about a time that you got hurt during recess or P.E class.
18. Tell about a memorable first day of school.
19. Write a story about a horrible visit to the dentist or doctor. What happened, and how did you end up overcoming the issue?
20. Share what you like most about responding to these narrative writing prompts for 5th grade students.
Did you enjoy these personal narrative writing prompts for fifth grade? If so, you may also like … persuasive writing prompts for 5th grade