Here you will find an assortment of superb narrative writing prompts for 3rd grade that students love!
Not only do these narrative writing prompts for 3rd grade reduce writer’s block, they encourage students to apply new skills, explore their creativity, and reflect on personal experiences.
Writer’s workshop just became a bit more exciting!
So include in your lessons this week a handful of these delightful narrative writing prompts for 3rd grade.
Narrative Writing Prompts for 3rd Grade
Even reluctant writers enjoy responding to these narrative writing prompts for 3rd grade.
1. Write about your first time visiting another state or country. How was the location different and similar to where you live?
2. Tell a story about a time that you helped someone in need.
3. Write a story about the best activity at field day last year. What made this activity so great? Describe it.
4. Describe a memory about a fun Easter egg hunt in which you participated.
5. Tell the story about a strange thing that has ever happened to you. Be specific.
6. Wild Card Prompt: Write about any special memory that you have. (e.g. talent show, vacation, learning a new skill, sports, etc.)
7. Write about a time when you had to apologize to someone.
8. Describe the person who has the most influence over your life. Explain why this person is so important in your life.
9. Tell about your favorite holiday memory.
10. Write about the most memorable field trip that you have ever taken. Describe in detail what made it so special.
11. Of all the things you own, which is the one that you value most? Explain.
12. Share three to five S.M.A.R.T goals that you have for this school year. Then tell how you will accomplish those objectives.
13. Write about a time when you lost a game. Use the 5Ws to help generate lots of details.
14. Choose your favorite season, and write about a fun activity that you shared with your family during this time.
More Narrative Writing Prompts for 3rd Grade
Here you will find more third grade narrative writing prompts that motivate students to move their pens and pencils!
15. Share information about a time when your parents surprised you with a special gift.
16. Write about a challenge that you have faced or are facing this school year. What steps are you taking in order to overcome this obstacle?
17. Describe the most joyous Thanksgiving celebration you’ve ever attended.
18. Suppose you invented a time machine. Write a story the adventures you’d have with it.
19. Write two narrative writing prompts for 3rd grade that you think your teacher might like.
20. If you were teacher for the day, what fun activities and lesson would you do with the class?
21. Draft a story about yourself as the hero. What heroic acts do you perform for others?
22. Retell about a super exciting science experiment that your class performed this year or from a previous year.
23. Write about the best birthday celebration you’ve every had.
24. If you could drive for one day, where would you go, with whom, and what would you do?
25. Imagine that you can go to any place you want and for as long as you desire. Where would you go, what would you do, and who would you take along with you?
26. If you could travel to the future or the past, which year would you travel to and why?
27. Share a very scary moment that happened to you.
28. What is your favorite season of the year? What do you like to do during this time?
29. Tell about a time that you had a strange, funny, or scary encounter with an animal.
Now you have a quality collection of third grade narrative writing prompts to use during writer’s workshop, for homework, as bell work, and even as early finisher activities.
For support, teach students how to respond well to these narrative writing prompts for 3rd grade.
Did you enjoy these personal narrative writing prompts for third grade? If so, you may like … 3rd grade persuasive writing prompts