Encourage second graders to write about themselves and their experiences using these fun narrative writing prompts for 2nd grade.
These creative prompts awaken reflection and strengthen writing skills.
So pencil into your lesson plan this week a few of these fun narrative writing prompts for 2nd grade.
Narrative Writing Prompts for 2nd Grade
1. Write a story about an amazing day that you shared with your family.
2. Think for a moment about a natural disaster that you experienced first-hand. Retell the key events.
3. Share a funny or cute memory about your favorite pet.
4. Write about a fun, frightening, or crazy experience riding a rollercoaster.
5. Retell a time when you were the victim of bullying. Who did you seek for help? What was the final outcome?
6. Write about a very sad moment in your life.
7. Have you ever won something? Write about a time that you got lucky. Tell what you won and how.
8. Write about a time when you felt like the luckiest kid in the universe.
9. For one hour, you have the ability to fly. Describe in detail what adventures you will take during this time.
10. Share a story about the best Halloween costume you’ve ever worn.
11. Write a story about a time when you experienced another culture, whether in a different country, state, or city.
12. Describe a moment in your life when you felt like a celebrity.
13. Share details about a time this school year or last when you accomplished one of your S.M.A.R.T goals.
14. Write about the coolest arts and crafts project you’ve ever done in school.
15. Retell the events about a day when everything went wrong.
16. Write about a time that you wanted something so badly and you finally received it.
17. What was your life like one year ago? Describe it.
18. Tell about a time when someone made you feel important. Describe what he/she said or did to make you feel this way.
19. Describe 3-5 goals that you have for yourself.
20. Write a story about an unforgettable experience that you had in preschool.
21. Tell about a perfect weekend memory.
22. Share a moment about a time when you really struggled with something but your teacher helped you through it.
23. Describe a special moment between you and your beloved pet.
24. Write about a time that you were afraid of thunder and lightening.
25. Tell details about the funniest day of your life.
26. Describe a water experience such as at the beach, in a swimming pool, at a waterpark, etc. What made this activity so memorable?
27. Share the main events about your first time flying on an airplane.
28. Tell about a special moment when you were learning how to swim, ride a bike, or play an instrument.
29. Write about a time when you injured yourself at P.E or during recess.
30. Share a memory about a time when you just couldn’t stop laughing. How did you finally get yourself under control?
31. Retell the main events of your most memorable birthday.
32. Describe what you daydream about when your mind wonders in class.
33. Write a story about the day you received your very first pet.
34. Retell a memory about something amazing, funny, or frustrating that happened to you when visiting one of your favorite restaurants.
35. Share the details of a time when you became ill. What happened, and how did you get better?
36. Write about a time when you showed courage.
37. Describe your morning routine before you arrive to school.
38. Write about a time when you were the new kid at school. How were you feeling? Who made you feel welcome? How did you make friends?
39. If you could trade places with any book character for twenty-four hours, who would you choose? Describe what things you would do.
40. Write about a time when you showed kindness to a classmate that is not your friend.
41. Share the events of a funny or nervous personal experience about losing a tooth.
42. Tell about a time when you were disappointed because you didn’t receive a gift you wanted.
43. Think about a time when you felt alone. What was the cause? How did you cope? What was the final outcome?
Did you enjoy these personal narrative writing prompts for second grade? If so, you may also like … 2nd grade morning meeting questions