Have some fun with the festivities, traditions, events, and ideas associated with the third month of the year using these fun March writing prompts for students of all ages.
Not only do these writing prompts for March celebrate this time of the year, they instill a love for writing, improve writing skills, spark imagination, and encourage students to expand upon their thoughts plus ideas.
That’s why these March writing prompts go well alongside your collection of writing activities
Whether you teach first, second, third, fourth, fifth, middle, or high school students, you’re sure to find a March writing prompt here to fit your needs.
Related: St. Patrick’s Day writing prompts
March Writing Prompts
1. Write about an experience participating in or attending a parade.
2. Would you rather have a vacation or a staycation? Explain your choice.
3. How would your life change if you had paws instead of hands?
4. Explain, step-by-step, how to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
5. In your opinion, which color represents happiness and why?
6. Share an experience of visiting a dentist.
7. Without telling the name of the dish, describe your favorite meal.
8. Write a short biography about a significant woman in history.
9. Tell how to overcome a fear of something.
10. In a paragraph or two, describe a relative who you think is awesome.
11. Write about all the different ways to consume apples.
12. How do flowers make our world more beautiful?
13. In paragraph form, write your three favorite things about March.
14. Explain the life cycle of a butterfly.
15. Compare and contrast tea and coffee.
16. Write a story about a panda bear that escapes from the zoo.
17. If a leprechaun accompanied you to school one day, what adventures would you two have?
18. Tell why you are an incredible kid.
19. Write about a time when you laughed uncontrollably.
20. What are some things that you can do to make your pet happy?
21. Describe your favorite things about springtime.
22. Instead of blooming flowers, pretend that plants start blooming money. How would life be different?
23. Write a letter persuading your parents to buy you a new puppy.
24. Discuss a special event that happens in your school during the month of March.
25. Compare and contrast waffles and pancakes.
26. If you could create your own holiday, would would it be? What traditions and customs would it have? Why do you choose to celebrate this idea?
27. Explain the benefits of exercising regularly and eating healthy.
28. Make up an outdoor game that involves a stick.
29. Write a haiku about the month of March.
30. Share the importance of keeping city parks clean.
31. If you could be any color crayon, which would you choose and why?
32. In your opinion, what are the benefits of responding to March writing prompts daily?
33. Compose a funny story about a sock that goes on an adventure to find its missing pair.
34. Describe what your city or town looks like during the month of March.
35. In your opinion, what’s the best way to get rid of hiccups?
36. Compose a story about a crew of astronauts whose rocket breaks down on an undiscovered planet upon its return to Earth.
March Writing Prompts Calendar Printable
If you’d like a PDF of these March writing prompts, download a free March writing prompts calendar for 2023.
Now you have a ready-supply of engaging March writing prompts to use during writer’s workshop or for other March writing activities.
Did you like these writing prompts about March? If so, then you might want more … daily writing prompts for each month.