Use these general report card comments to communicate to parents how well their child is progressing in any subject area and work habit area.
These comments are perfect for use when discussing behavior or drafting comments for the end of the school year.
Though it’s often best to write more detailed comments, sometimes you just want or need something quick yet effective. These general report card comments serve that purpose for you.
As a reference, use qualifiers to make a statement more or less positive.
Some qualifiers include…
- progressing well…
- not progressing well…
- excels in…
- struggles with…
- at times…
- has a habit of…
For more descriptors, check out this useful list of elementary report card comment qualifiers.
General Report Card Comments
- ______ easily takes accountability for his actions.
- It is frequently evident that _______ has a strong desire to succeed.
- ______ is self-motivated and doesn’t depend on others for validation.
- ______ doesn’t complete class assignments unless she has ample supervision.
- ______ assignments and/or homework is always or often late.
- ______ has a hard time being truthful when confronted with wrongdoing.
- ______ refuses to keep hands to herself.
- ______ has a hard time completing work in a timely fashion.
- ______ follows instructions the first time they are given.
- ______ is very thorough with reviewing his work before submitting.
- Though _____ is very capable, getting her to focus is a challenge.
- _______ has a slight tendency to rush through her work.
- _______ shows satisfactory progress in (insert any learning objective).
- _______ shows great pride in his work.
- _______ habitually submits work that is disorganized and illegible.
- _______ does not hesitate to ask for help when needed.
- _______ constantly needs reminders so that work is submitted on time.
- Even though _______requires accommodations on assignments, she is still capable of producing much better work than what she has shown recently.
- _______ gladly seeks opportunities to improve her work.
- _______ has difficulties paying attention but does respond well to being redirected.
- _______ struggles to work independently.
- _______is very responsible and takes ownership of her mistakes.
- Even when given extended time, _______ fails to complete assignments.
Get HUNDREDS (950+) of Done-For-You copy and paste report card comments to save hours of time!
Simply copy, paste, tweak, and use! Perfect for grades 2, 3, 4, and 5. See them here!
General Report Card Comments for Behavior
- ______demonstrates self-discipline in her work habits.
- Even when other students try to distract her, ________stays focused on her work assignments.
- ______is an energetic child who shows enthusiasm in all he does.
- ______does a great job performing his classroom helper job.
- Even after repeated warnings, ______continues to (insert any inappropriate behavior).
- ______strives to improve his grades in order to master the learning objectives.
- ______actively participates in class discussions.
- ______meaningfully contributes to class discussions.
- ______is easily angered.
- ______has much potential, but she didn’t apply herself fully.
- Even when the work is hard, ______perseveres with complaining.
- ______respects school property.
- Although_______likes to display a tough exterior, she is a gentle spirit.
- ______rarely follows instructions the first time.
- ______works well independently.
- During class transitions, _______moves to the next activity smoothly.
- ______easily lends a helping hand to a classmate.
- When others do him wrong, ______has a tendency to become vengeful.
- Unfortunately, ______has a hard time keeping his hands to himself.
- ______shows difficulty playing along fairly with others on the playground.
- ______always completes assignments within the allotted time frame.
- ______is exceptionally organized and is always prepared for class.
- ______refuses to apologize when she has purposely hurt others.
- ______shows patience and kindness when working as a team.
- Though ______is great in sports, he becomes argumentative when he doesn’t win or get his way.
- ______often interrupts the class by making silly noises.
- ______frequent tardies disrupt the morning class flow.
Bonus: Final Report Card Comments
- _______has shown considerable improvement in (insert any learning objective) this school year. I recommend that she continues to work on these skills during the summer.
- _______is progressing well in all subject areas. Keep up the good work!
- I suggest that _______attend after-school tutoring X amount of times per week.
- Please continue to practice with _______ (insert any learning objective).
- I have observed a noticeable improvement in ______work habits this semester. Great job!
- Though_______reading level improved significantly this school year, he still needs to improve his fluency and comprehension so that he’s most prepared for fifth grade.
- _______has blossomed so much this school year. She has met grade-level expectations.
These general report card comments save you time!
When you’re ready to write more detailed comments, get some help from our gigantic collection of report card comments.
It may be helpful to bookmark the page!