Mix learning and excitement using these fun writing prompts for 5th grade students.
If you’ve got reluctant writers, you need to incorporate fun writing prompts that will spark their engagement.
Here you will find a collection of fun fifth grade writing prompts that do just that.
Not only do these prompts reduce writer’s block, but they also encourage creativity, motivate students to confidently express their thoughts, sharpen writing skills plus instill a love for writing.
So consider including a handful of these fun writing prompts for 5th grade students into your writer’s workshop lessons this week.
Fun Writing Prompts for 5th Grade Students
- What color do you feel like today? Why?
- How would your life change if you were twice your height?
- Would you rather eat ketchup on ice cream or mustard on a chocolate bar? Explain.
- Write about what your life would be like if you changed into a tree.
- A spaceship just landed on the playground. Write what happens next.
- Your backpack is magical. Write about it.
- Compose a poem that includes similes and metaphors.
- You dig the world’s deepest hole. What do you find within?
- Write a story that doesn’t use the letter “m”.
- Draft a tongue-twister where the words start with “S”.
- What are some exciting ways to sharpen writing skills besides responding to fun writing prompts for 5th grade?
- Write a humorous letter explaining to younger students what to expect in 5th grade.
- Create a story from the perspective of a balloon floating away.
- If you ruled the world…
- Describe your most prized possession.
- You wake up one morning to find an octopus in your bathtub. Write about what happens next.
- What would you do if you had a porcupine as a pet?
- What’s your favorite place in the world and why?
- Pretend that you’re the captain of a ship. Write a diary entry about your day.
- Imagine that you and your parents switch places for one day! What will you do?
- Write about your favorite day of the week. Why is this day your favorite?
- If you could do any one thing for the entire week, what would you choose and why?
- Write about someone playing the perfect April Fool’s joke on a family member.
- Share a fun memory that took place at an amusement park or fair.
- Write about a typical day from the perspective of a remote control.
- Tell about the best birthday celebration you have ever had.
- What kinds of thoughts do you think animals have about humans?
- You are in charge of a new radio show for fifth graders. What topics will you cover and why?
- As you’re brushing your hair, the brush begins yelling. Write what happens next.
- You’re an alligator’s personal assistant for the day. Tell about your day.
- Write a story about a pencil that transforms into a school bus after school.
- Draft a story about what it would be like to wake up with a third eye.
- Imagine that you won a lifetime supply of lemons. What are you going to do with all those lemons?
- Your tongue must have a funny story to tell. What is it?
- Write a story about a student who is so bored that he does something unexpected.
- You have grown wings and can now fly. Where will you go?
- As you’re walking down the street, it starts raining feathers. Write what happens next.
- Write a fun story about a musical instrument that comes to life.
- Your new restaurant, 100, is open for business. Describe your new restaurant.
- For 24 hours, you are 2 feet tall. Write about your day.
- All of a sudden, you realize that the teacher no longer has ears! Finish the story.
- Create a new holiday focused on fun. Describe it.
Now you have a quality collection of fun writing prompts for 5th grade students to use during writer’s workshop.
For those who need support, teach students how to respond well to these prompts.