By the time your fourth graders reach you, they’ve heard a number of first-day-of-school read alouds.
So you’ve got to dig a little deeper to find a book they haven’t yet heard.
This list of first day of school books for 4th grade solves the problem!
To help you find a selection easily, this list of first day of school books for 4th grade is divided into the following categories:
- Beginning of Year Jitters/Anxiety
- Being Who You Are
- Chapter Books
- Growth Mindset
- Ice Breakers
- Virtual Learning/Building Community
You might want to bookmark this page for later reference.
Related: Explore our back-to-school resources page with lots of ideas for starting the school year off on a good note!
Back to School Read Alouds for Fourth Grade: Beginning of Year Anxiety
- A Tiger Tail (Mike Boldt)
- Amelia’s Notebook ( Marissa Moss)
- Justin Case: School, Drool, & Other Daily Disasters (Rachel Vail, Matthew Cordell)
First Day of School Books for 4th Grade: Kindness/Bullying
- Do Unto Otters (Laurie Keller)
- The Juice Box Bully (Bob Sornson, Maria Dismondy)
- The Twig (Aura Parker)
First Day of School Books for 4th Grade: Being Who You Are
- A Bad Case of Stripes (David Shannon)
- The Best Part of Me (Genia Connell)
- Different is Good (Rebecca J. Jackson, Phelan Good)
- Happy Dreamer (Peter H. Reynolds)
- I Wish My Teacher Knew: How One Question Can Change Everything (Kyle Schwartz)
- Ish (Peter H. Reynolds)
- Nerdy Birdy (Aaron Reynolds, Matt Davies)
- Rot, the Cutest in the World! (Ben Clanton)
- Sticks (Diane Alber)
- Your Name is a Song (Jamilah Thompkins-Bigelow)
- EllRay Jakes Series (Sally Warner, Jamie Harper)
- Frankie Sparks and the Class Pet (Megan Frazer Blakemore)
- Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing (Judy Blume)
- Who’s Afraid of Fourth Grade? (Nancy E. Krulik)
- Wonder (R.J. Palacio)
- The World According to Humphrey (Betty G. Birney)
Back to School Read Alouds for Fourth Grade: Growth Mindset
- A Little SPOT of Optimism (Diane Alber) – Consider sharing with your fourth graders all of the books in the “SPOT” series!
- After the Fall (Dan Santat)
- The Girl Who Never Made Mistakes (Mark Pett)
- Miss Malarkey Leaves No Reader Behind (Judy Fincher)
- Whatever You Are, Be a Good One: 100 Inspirational Quotations Hand-Lettered (Lisa Congdon)
- Your Fantastic Elastic Brain: Stretch It, Shape It (JoAnn Deak PhD, Sarah Ackerley)
Back to School Books for 4th Grade: Ice Breakers
- Dear Teacher (Amy Husband)
- The Exceptionally, Extraordinarily Ordinary First Day of School (Albert Lorenz)
- Splat the Cat: Back to School, Splat! (Rob Scotton)
First Day of School Books for Fourth Graders: Rules/Behavior
- Being Frank (Donna Earnhardt, Andrea Castellan)
- Decibella and Her 6-Inch Voice (Julia Cook, Anita DuFalla)
- Mr. Peabody’s Apples (Madonna)
- My Mouth is a Volcano (Julia Cook)
- Officer Buckle and Gloria (Peggy Rathmann)
- Seven Rules You Absolutely Must Not Break If You Want to Survive the Cafeteria (John Grandits, Michael Allen Austin)
- Ten Rules You Absolutely Must Not Break If You Want to Survive the School Bus (John Grandits, Michael Allen Austin)
Back to School Books for Grade 4: Teamwork
- The Gigantic Turnip (Aleskei Tolstoy, Niamh Sharkey)
- Narwhal (Ben Clanton)
For more great titles about working together as a team, check out these beautifully illustrated picture books about cooperation.
Back to School Read Alouds for 4th Grade: Virtual Learning/Building a Community
- A Little SPOT Learns Online: A Story About Virtual Classroom Expectations (Diane Alber)
- All Are Welcome (Alexandra Penfold)
- Our Class is a Family (Shannon Olsen)
A Fantastic List of First Day of School Read Aloud Books for 4th Graders
As a bonus, consider adding to this list one or two books from children’s authors from your city or state.
For example, in Louisiana, there are several children’s authors who are known locally, and many teachers introduce their works to students at the beginning of the school year.
What a great way to instill state pride in kids along with supporting the local community!
Now you’re all set.
And if you don’t see one of your favorite first day of school read aloud books for 4th graders on this list, comment below and share!