By the time fourth graders arrive on the first day of school, they’ve heard many times the most popular first day of school books for 4th grade.
Therefore, teachers need to dig a little deeper in order to find a first day of school read aloud book that fourth graders have not yet heard.
This delightful collection of first day of school books for 4th grade solves the problem.
It consists of classic titles in addition to “new” finds that will engage fourth grade students.
So keep this list of first day of school books for 4th grade handy as you plan for back to school.
Related: first day of school writing prompts
First Day of School Books for 4th Grade
These first day of school books for 4th grade students make a great addition to your list of first day of school activities.
Dealing With First Day Jitters
- A Tiger Tail (Mike Boldt)
- Amelia’s Notebook (Marissa Moss)
- Justin Case: School, Drool, & Other Daily Disasters (Rachel Vail, Matthew Cordell)
- Do Unto Otters (Laurie Keller)
- The Juice Box Bully (Bob Sornson, Maria Dismondy)
- The Twig (Aura Parker)
Being Who You Are
- A Bad Case of Stripes (David Shannon)
- The Best Part of Me (Genia Connell)
- The Day You Begin (Jacqueline Woodson)
- Different is Good (Rebecca J. Jackson, Phelan Good)
- Happy Dreamer (Peter H. Reynolds)
- I Wish My Teacher Knew: How One Question Can Change Everything (Kyle Schwartz)
- Ish (Peter H. Reynolds)
- Magnificent Homespun Brown: A Celebration (Samara Cole Doyon, Kaylani Juanita)
- Nerdy Birdy (Aaron Reynolds, Matt Davies)
- Rot, the Cutest in the World! (Ben Clanton)
- Sticks (Diane Alber)
- Your Name is a Song (Jamilah Thompkins-Bigelow)
- EllRay Jakes Series (Sally Warner, Jamie Harper)
- Frankie Sparks and the Class Pet (Megan Frazer Blakemore)
- Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing (Judy Blume)
- Who’s Afraid of Fourth Grade? (Nancy E. Krulik)
- Wonder (R.J. Palacio)
- The World According to Humphrey (Betty G. Birney)
- A Little SPOT of Optimism (Diane Alber)
- After the Fall (Dan Santat)
- The Girl Who Never Made Mistakes (Mark Pett)
- Miss Malarkey Leaves No Reader Behind (Judy Fincher)
- Whatever You Are, Be a Good One: 100 Inspirational Quotations Hand-Lettered (Lisa Congdon)
- Your Fantastic Elastic Brain: Stretch It, Shape It (JoAnn Deak PhD, Sarah Ackerley)
Ice Breakers/A Good Laugh
- Dear Teacher (Amy Husband)
- The Exceptionally, Extraordinarily Ordinary First Day of School (Albert Lorenz)
- Splat the Cat: Back to School, Splat! (Rob Scotton)
- Being Frank (Donna Earnhardt, Andrea Castellan)
- Decibella and Her 6-Inch Voice (Julia Cook, Anita DuFalla)
- Mr. Peabody’s Apples (Madonna)
- My Mouth is a Volcano (Julia Cook)
- Officer Buckle and Gloria (Peggy Rathmann)
- Seven Rules You Absolutely Must Not Break If You Want to Survive the Cafeteria (John Grandits, Michael Allen Austin)
- Ten Rules You Absolutely Must Not Break If You Want to Survive the School Bus (John Grandits, Michael Allen Austin)
See list of procedures and rules to discuss on the first day of school.
- The Gigantic Turnip (Aleskei Tolstoy, Niamh Sharkey)
- Narwhal (Ben Clanton)
Virtual Learning/Building a Community
- A Little SPOT Learns Online: A Story About Virtual Classroom Expectations (Diane Alber)
- All Are Welcome (Alexandra Penfold)
- Our Class is a Family (Shannon Olsen)
Now you have a quality list of fourth grade first day of school books to read to students during the first week of school.
There’s a book to fit every situation and topic; planning back-to-school activities just became a bit easier.
If you would like more 4th grade first day read aloud ideas, see favorite back to school read alouds from teachers.