Empower seventh graders to showcase their creativity and express their thoughts using these creative writing topics for 7th grade students.
These prompts stretch the imagination and encourage 7th graders to think outside of the box.
So include one or two of these creative writing topics and prompts for 7th grade students in your teaching each day this week.
Creative Writing Topics for 7th Grade Students
1. Imagine your class is making time capsules for the year 2040. What items will you place into your box? Why do you choose these items?
2. Think about a place, real or imagined, that you would like to visit. If you could go there, how long would you stay, which attractions would you explore, and what activities would you partake in?
3. Describe a usual day in the life of a printer.
4. If you could trade places with any famous person for twenty-four hours, who would you choose? Describe what things you would do.
5. Write a recipe teaching seventh graders how to show kindness to family members.
6. Pretend you founded a new city. What is the name of it, how is the weather, and what buildings does it have? Describe this new place.
7. For a day, you are a chair. Tell about a typical day in your life.
8. Rewrite the ending to your favorite movie fairy tale.
9. In the morning, once everyone leaves for the day, items in your bathroom start chatting. Create a humorous story about what is going on.
10. Write a story about a newborn baby that already knows how to speak in full sentences.
11. For 24 hours, you have wings and can fly anywhere you like. Describe all the places you’ll visit.
12. Write a creative story that centers around these five words: island, seahorse, canoe, campfire, spider
13. Invent a new online game, and describe how to play.
14. As you are brushing your hair, your strands turn into snakes. Write a story about what happens next.
15. The answer is “Mother’s Day”. Write eight different questions.
16. You own a one-of-a-kind pet that has gone missing! Create a cool “Lost” advertisement describing what your pet looks like. Add any information that would help a stranger identify your beloved pet.
17. List 12 words related to being in the seventh grade. Then create a poem that includes these words.
18. Imagine that you have a big mirror. When you step into it, you enter a world of magic and fantasy. Write a story about an adventure you took on the other side of the mirror.
19. A mole on your body has come to life. Write a story about what happens with it.
20. Use figurative language to describe your favorite mammal. See examples of figurative language if you need help.
21. you had whiskers like a cat, a tail like an alligator, and the body of a human, what kinds of things would you do? How would your life be different, better, or worse?
22. Explain how to jump over the moon. Use imagination in your explanation.
23. You discover that a tree in your backyard grows money. Write a story about this magical tree.
24. You are a reporter and will interview the president of the United States of America. Draft a list of questions you will ask him along with his responses. If you need, use the 5 Ws + H to help generate questions to ask.
25. Imagine you discover an island, and you decide to build a new city on it. What will your city be like? How will you attract people to live there?
26. S.E.V.E.N.T.H G.R.A.D.E – Create an acrostic poem using the phrase seventh grade.
27. Write a creative story about someone who has just found a long-lost treasure map.
28. List all the words (2-letter, 3-letter, 4-letter, 5-letter, 6-letter, 7-letter, 8-letter, 9-letter, 10-letter, 11-letter, and 12-letter) that you can make using the letters in the word psychological.
29. When you turn on the kitchen faucet, orange juice begins to flow out profusely. Write about what happens next.
30. If you could take the best qualities of three of your favorite people and create a new personality, what would the new personality be like? Describe it.
31. Brainstorm three emojis that best represent your personality. Describe these emojis, and share why they fit you well.
32. Draft a creative story about a wannabe superhero who fails at first with his superpower but then succeeds because of perseverance.
33. Start your story with the line, “It was 2:30 am when the knocking started.”
34. Imagine you have the ability to never get tired. What activities or tasks would you be thrilled to keep doing? Why?
35. The doctor emerged from behind the curtain. I’d never experienced anything like this in my life. What was he about to say?… Finish the story.
36. Write a story about landing on an isolated desert island with nothing but a flashlight and your favorite book for company.
37. Start your story with “I didn’t realize I was falling.”
38. You’re walking down the street when suddenly a strange man presses a book into your hands and rushes off. Scared, you hurry home. It’s only when you’re safe inside that you dare to open the pages. Horrifyingly, you discover it’s a book containing…
39. If you had a TV show about your life, what would it be called and who would play you?
40. Write a creative story set in a mythical place.
41. I was strolling through the woods when I saw a carefully-carved door in the trunk of a large oak tree. I approached it and tried the handle. It opened! So, being the curious type, I entered and found… Finish the creative story.
42. Write a creative story about finding a million dollars in a small cave.
43. Create any creative story or piece of writing you’d like about seventh grade. Genres you may select include persuasive, comedy, fantasy, comic, mystery, tall tale, poem, informational, etc.
44. Write seven creative writing topics for 7th grade students that you think your teacher will like.
45. Imagine you dig a deep hole. What do you happen to find at the bottom?
Liked these creative writing topics for 7th grade? If so, you might be interested in these … middle school writing prompt ideas