Here you will find a quality collection of creative writing topics for 4th grade students.
Not only do these creative writing topics for 4th grade reduce writer’s block, they encourage fourth graders to stretch their imaginations, improve their writing skills, and express their ideas.
Writer’s workshop just became a bit more exciting!
So add a handful of these creative writing topics for 4th grade into your upcoming lessons.
Creative Writing Topics for 4th Grade Students
Even reluctant writers will love responding to these creative writing topics for 4th grade.
1. If you could travel to any place in the universe and stay there for as long as you wanted, where would you go, why, and what things would you do there?
2. Describe a typical day in the life of your shoe.
3. Your teacher comes into the classroom, places a bag on her desk and then leaves. All of a sudden, the bag begins to wiggle. Finish the story.
4. The headline reads, “Lost Cat Found Alive Under Hidden Tunnel!” Write the news story.
5. Come up with four creative writing topics for 4th grade that you think your teacher may like.
6. You have been assigned teacher for the day. Describe what activities, lessons, and games you’ll do with the students. Give lots of details.
7. One day while you and your classmates are playing at recess, a spaceship lands on the playground. Complete the story.
8. For one day, a magic fairy will transform you into any animal that you want. Choose an animal, and tell about what you will do on your special day.
9. For one day, you are an apple. Describe your typical day.
10. You ate too many carrots for dinner and now have rabbit ears! Write a story about the challenges of living with bunny ears and how you eventually deal with the problem.
11. Rewrite the ending to your favorite read aloud.
12. A sunflower in your backyard grows so tall that it reaches the sky. Write about what happens plus what you discover when you climb to the top.
13. Write a recipe for being a good friend.
14. On the weekend, when your family leaves to have dinner at your favorite restaurant, your bedroom furniture begins to talk. Create a story about what happens.
15. Write a story about a tree that you found in your backyard that has dollar bills instead of leaves.
16. Invent a new board game, and explain how to play it.
17. Write a creative story that is about at least three of these five words: grocery store, rotten, aisle, tired, fruit
18. The answer is “Easter Sunday”. Create five different questions.
19. Oh no! You’re trapped inside of your favorite video game. Describe what happens now.
20. You’re roaming in the forest. All of a sudden, a dinosaur appears…
21. If there was no gravity, what kinds of activities would you do for fun?
22. There’s a kite-flying competition coming up soon in your local community. Design the perfect kite. What colors, shapes, etc. will it have? Describe it.
23. List 10 words related to the ocean. Then compose a poem that includes these words.
24. As you are making your bed, the covers turn into a waterfall. Draft a story about what happens next.
25. Explain to your best friend how to eat a fried worm. Use your imagination.
26. Write a story from the perspective of a rabbit who escaped from its cage.
27. You are a news reporter and have to interview the principal of your school. Write a script with a list of questions you’ll ask her along with her responses. Use the 5 Ws + H to help generate questions.
More Creative Writing Topics for 4th Grade
Consider using these creative writing topics for 4th grade as bell work or homework.
29. As you lay your head onto your pillow at bedtime, you hear your pillow say, “Ouch!”. Write what happens next?
30. F.O.U.R.T.H G.R.A.D.E – Create an acrostic poem using the phrase fourth grade.
31. Imagine you discover a hidden tunnel where you decide to stash all of your favorite possessions. What objects will you place there and why?
32. List all the words (2-letter, 3-letter, 4-letter, 5-letter, 6-letter, 7-letter, 8-letter, and 9-letter) that you can make using the letters from the word auditorium.
33. You walk outside and see that it’s raining popcorn. Write what happens next.
34. If you could pick any emoji to represent your personality, which would you choose and why? Sketch it.
35. Describe the color green to someone who cannot see.
36. If you could combine any three ocean animals to make a new creature, what would the new creature be? Describe and name it.
37. Write a story about a superhero who teaches kids how to be super readers.
38. If you had the ability to read people’s minds for a day, how would you use this superpower to your advantage?
39. Wild Card: Create any creative story about fourth grade. Choose to write a mystery, information, comedy, fantasy, tall tale, poetry, comic, persuasive, etc.
40. Make-up a creative story about a character who can control water and air.
41. Write two creative writing topics for 4th grade you think your teacher might like.
42. Mom was being strange. We’d gone out for ice cream straight after school, and we only ever did that if… Finish the story.
43. Create a new emoji that shows a feeling that is hard to express in words. Describe your emoji, and then sketch it.
44. Write a creative story that ends in the same place as it began.
45. “Get ready!” mom shouted, “we can’t be late for…”. Finish the story.
46. I rushed downstairs to see my cat in her usual spot. I went over to pet her, and to my surprise, she opened her mouth and said, “We have to go to…”. Finish the story.
47. Write a creative story about a young woman that succeeds in climbing a mountain.
48. As Keisha peered around her bedroom door, she saw her toys come to life. She inhaled sharply and that sound was enough to catch her toys’ attention. Everyone froze and… Complete the story.
49. Annie woke up in the middle of the night and flicked the lights on, only to find… Finish the story.
50. Write a creative story about a child who gets lost in the woods.
51. No one thought this would happen. We were just singing songs on the playground when…
52. Imagine you are a mermaid that grows legs and comes ashore to explore the local surroundings for 24 hours. Write about the adventures and challenges you’ll face throughout the day.
53. Write a creative story from the perspective of a dog that grew up with talking elephants.
54. You wake up one morning and realize that your fingers have turned into spaghetti noodles! How do you manage throughout the day? What are some pros and cons of having spaghetti hands?
55. Write a creative story using characters from your favorite movie or book.
56. As you’re responding to one of the creative writing topics for 4th grade, your pen/pencil begins to dance. Write what happens next.
Now you have an assortment of creative writing topics for 4th grade to share with learners during writer’s workshop.
You could also use these creative writing topics for 4th grade as early finisher activities.
Liked these creative writing topics for 4th grade? If so, you’ll love these … fourth grade writing prompt ideas