Instead of taking attendance the traditional way, engage learners using this fun list of attendance questions for students.
Attendance questions are student-focused inquires that teachers ask students when taking roll in order to prompt a one-word, personal response about a given topic in lieu of the usual reply “here” or “present”.
Using attendance questions, teachers learn more about students, create a sense of community among classmates, and nurture an atmosphere of positivity.
So pencil into your lesson plans this week a few of these cool attendance questions.
Attendance Questions For Students
Food-Related Attendance Questions
- What’s your favorite breakfast food?
- Do you like seafood?
- Have you ever eaten _____ (Fill in the blank.)?
- Which fruit tastes best?
- Do you like to put ranch dressing on your pizza?
- What’s your favorite vegetable?
- Have you ever tried sushi?
- Least favorite veggie?
- Do you bring lunch from home or eat from the cafeteria?
- What is your favorite cereal?
- Which milkshake flavor do you prefer?
- If you could only eat one food for the rest of your life, what would it be?
- Which item on the school’s lunch menu is your favorite?
- Are you allergic to any foods?
- What’s a popular dish in your culture?
- Do you like to chew gum?
- What is your favorite dessert?
- Apple juice or orange juice?
- What did you eat for dinner last night?
- Do you put mustard on your hotdogs?
- What is your favorite pizza topping?
- Do you know anyone who is a vegetarian?
- Have you ever tried pineapple on pizza?
- What is your favorite flavor of chips?
- Do you prefer pie or cake?
- What did you have for breakfast this morning?
- What is your favorite book?
- Which whole class reward is your absolute favorite?
- How do you get to school in the morning?
- In which school subject are you the least interested?
- What’s your favorite subject in school?
- Do you prefer working alone or with a partner?
- What award are you most likely to receive?
- Would you rather have a whole class reward or individual reward?
- What’s your favorite activity to do after school?
- Which is best: recess or PE?
- Do you regularly use anchor charts to help you learn concepts?
- What elective do you look most look forward to attending?
- Who was your kindergarten teacher?
- Which literacy center is your favorite?
- Do you enjoy soft music playing during writing time?
- Which attention getter is your favorite?
- What’s an adjective you’d use to describe how you’re feeling this morning?
- Do you prefer to type or handwrite?
- Which of the classroom jobs is most enjoyable for you?
Family-Related Attendance Questions
- Are you the youngest, middle, eldest, or only child?
- How many pets do you have?
- Do you have siblings?
- How many sisters do you have?
- If you could have any animal as a pet, which would you choose?
- How many brothers do you have?
- Which would you prefer: a pet unicorn or a pet dragon?
- What’s your favorite game to play with the family?
- Do you prefer chicken nuggets or hamburgers?
- Which relative do you enjoy visiting most?
Fun Attendance Questions
- What’s your favorite school extracurricular activity?
- If you can travel anywhere in the world, what would be your pick?
- What color are your socks?
- Have you ever been camping?
- Which instrument would you like to learn?
- Do you like to ride roller coasters?
- What’s your favorite holiday?
- If you could meet any celebrity, who would it be?
- Would you rather go bike riding or walking?
- Do you play any musical instruments?
- What’s your favorite thing to do outside?
- How many letters are in your first name?
- Have you ever been to another country?
- What is your middle name?
- If you could have any superpower, what would it be?
- What’s your favorite season?
- Which sport do you play often?
- Have you ever been to the ocean?
- What’s one quirky thing about yourself?
- Have you ever gone fishing?
Would You Rather Questions
- Would you rather live in a tree house or cave?
- Cat or dog?
- Would you rather live in a zoo or a theme park?
- Socks or no socks when sleeping?
- Would you rather read or write?
- Sing or dance?
- Would you rather have delivery or eat at a restaurant?
- Winter or summer time?
- Would you rather take a road trip or fly?
- Hotel or camping?
- Would you rather consume fruits or vegetables?
- Fall or spring?
- Would you rather do sit-ups or push-ups?
- Hot or cold beverages?
- Would you rather have waffles or pancakes?
- Give up eating ice cream or cake for the rest of your life?
- Would you rather be too hot or too cold?
Attendance Questions for Distance Learning
- In what month is your birthday?
- What is something fun you did last weekend?
- Long sleeves or short sleeves?
- What’s your favorite day of the week?
- Do you know how to whistle?
- What is your favorite movie?
- If you had a robot, what would you command it to do?
- What’s one thing that you want to do when you grow up?
- Magician or clown at your birthday party?
- What’s a gift that you’d love to receive?
- Do you prefer hot weather or cold weather?
- What’s your biggest pet peeve?
- Are you left or right-handed?
- What color are your eyes?
- If you were given $50, would you save or spend it?
- Have you ever flown on a plane?
- What’s your favorite color?
- Do you like to wear hats?
- What’s your favorite day of the week?
- Would you rather have super strength or be invisible?
- What is one thing that you wonder about?
Wrapping Up: Fun Attendance Questions
Though classroom routines are a must when working with elementary students, these procedures need not be so formal.
Take monotony out of this daily classroom routine by implementing a handful of these attendance questions with your elementary students a few times per week.
Afterwards, your learners will be pumped and ready to work!
If you liked these attendance questions for students, you might want to check out… second grade morning meeting questions